JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds stupid but I mounted 2 of the 4 LED's as backup lights and holy sh!t!! they are bright!! If my old man is behind me I’m going to hear it all weekend. I would like a high and low switch. High to mess with my brother or just to turn the sun on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny! You can have one for $100 plus S/H of $30. No BS one is more than enough for a back up light and you can buy one cheaper then I’m offering! I do have part for sell cheep! I posted them as parts cheep!:gluging:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would contact Rigid and see if the LEDs are soldered to a board or replaceable. They would be your best source.

An inline dimmer switch might to adjust the amount of power going to the lights might work and wouldn't cost much.

I think Rigid sells filters for the lights as well.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Most LEDs will flat out not turn on with too low of voltage.

You should just put them on an on/off switch for backing up....figuring 99% of the vehicles backup just fine without additional lights.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Get a tinted cover for them. You get get a smoked/tinted grey cover and that will effectively dim your lights. As Goody said, LED's have two speeds: off and kill.

EDIT: I don't see a smoked cover on their site. If they can't make one for you, a black cover with some small holes drilled in it may do the job, or a clear one sprayed with lens tint.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
LED's are dimmable, just not this particular application:
LitePanels

Go to a photo supply shop and get some neutral density gel.

You can use this and cut out a few overlapping layers to get the output just right. This stuff is made to go infront of high-intensity Hollywood lights.

Neutral Density gel
Neutral Density on Wiki

·
Registered
108 Posts
e-Series, dimmable

My 10" e-Series came with a sheet that declared them "fully dimmable". I don't know if that only applies to the newest e-Series, or the entire line-up. The website reads "...in 2012...our LEDs will befully dimmable".

All of my Rigid Industries LEDs were purchased in 2012, but I doubt that means all of them are the new ones. Maybe that only applies to my 10" e-Series bar?

It hasn't occurred to me to dim them -- when I have them on, I want them on max. Before doing something as drastic as painting or tinting the cover, consider the angle (they do make special covers as someone else suggested too). Several degrees of angle change can make a huge difference in glare. It sounds like that's the real issue here.

For my reverse lights, I have 10W Vision-X LEDs and that was exactly my problem. About 10 deg change down is needed to make them more useful and less of a glare problem to someone behind me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.