JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have an 08 jk. my abs light is on. the dealer says that the wires have been pulled, from off roading or what ever. they want $970 to fix. what i would like to know is . if i add 4 -6 inches of wire to the abs and front locker wires. will the computer except it ? or will the abs code stay on ? thanks to anyone who can help me:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
hi i have an 08 jk. my abs light is on. the dealer says that the wires have been pulled, from off roading or what ever. they want $970 to fix. what i would like to know is . if i add 4 -6 inches of wire to the abs and front locker wires. will the computer except it ? or will the abs code stay on ? thanks to anyone who can help me:D
If you can splice them back together without crossing them up. It should work. Disconnect the battery first. Do the work. Then reconnect the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
New wires from the loom to the hub/unit bearing are $19 +/- each. Your dealer is a fucking thief! Dont splice them, by new ones. The fronts connect to the harness right behind the shock tower. The rears up along the frame. When installing the new ones pull the lowest plastic push connector and leave it out, this should give you enough room for droop on up to a 4-5" lift.

I would avoid splicing the wires as they are sensetive to impedence and resistance.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
YES! You can splice and extend them. I did exactly that when I stretched my JK and decided to run the ABS/ESP down each individual control arm.
Worked perfectly fine.
Use quality solder/shrink connectors and make sure you don't cross the wires.
Don't waste your money on an easy fix.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what happened was the front locker wire clip was zip tied down to the diff and broke off . the rear abs lines slack got caught in the bump stops and were flatened and broken. thanks, its nice to hear something positive! i'm going to do it. i will let you know what happens.:beer: ' s for all !!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I spent $9 on the new wire. VERY EASY!

It was worth the price to not splice it.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I spent $9 on the new wire. VERY EASY!

It was worth the price to not splice it.
That's a good point. If you don't need to make them longer, it would be worth the $9 for new OEM wires.
Also, if you damaged them by over-extending them, there is also a chance that even if you do splice them where they snapped, there could still be damage somewhere else along the lines, or at the connectors.
I never lengthened my front ones, but I did splice the rear to make them longer and allow me to run them down the control arms.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't know how much slack i have at full extention.I was told they where pulled. so I was going to add wire and they could be broke in more then one place. I will look them over again. I have wire to splice in so I will try that first. If I run into more problems, I will go with new OEM wire and make sure that they are tide back away from the bump stops. I like Co4Lo's idea. Of running the wires down the control arms. I wounder if the wires will be safe there. when going through the mud. Or if you could run them into the control arms and back out at the wheel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't know how much slack i have at full extention.I was told they where pulled. so I was going to add wire and they could be broke in more then one place. I will look them over again. I have wire to splice in so I will try that first. If I run into more problems, I will go with new OEM wire and make sure that they are tide back away from the bump stops. I like Co4Lo's idea. Of running the wires down the control arms. I wounder if the wires will be safe there. when going through the mud. Or if you could run them into the control arms and back out at the wheel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it woks! My back right ABS/ESP wires were the only ones broken. The yellow/ blue line, wire was corroded and burnt. I cut out about 16" of wire. Leaving a couple of inches at the connecter (at the wheel). Then soldered, shrink wrapped new 18 gage yellow wire in, and covered with new plastic wire protector stuff, ( I don't know what that stuff is called):shaking:. I started my truck and the ABS light was still on:pissed:
I went for a short drive , hammered on the brakes a couple times and the ABS light came off!:) and I could feel them working! My dealer wanted $900. To fix. I used $10 worth of wire, zip ties, plastic stuff and electrical tape.:homersimpson:
thanks to every one that helped !:beer::beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
A company needs to make a plug in in-line extender for JK ABS wires. simple, easy money and great for people who don't feel like making thier own.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I was at KOH the Currie JK has the wires zip tied to the AntiRock sway bars. it seemed like a good way to get them out of the way. Anybody have more information on this. It sounds like the stock wires are not long enough.

I pulled mine out and the stock wires are really long. I ran mine down my sway bars this weekend. Cheap and easy. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just to try it, I cut and spliced my wires today as they had come loose and rub through parts or both of them. That had made the christmas tree light up on my dash. I added about 3 inches of wire with the splice and got everything set up and after driving about 100 feet, the christmas tree was gone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where did you find them for $9? Was that OEM or 3rd party? Any links or part numbers would be appreciated.

Mine aren't damaged, but the lack of slack makes me nervous. I haven't installed my disconnects in the front yet because of this. I'd like to get the ABS lines extended first.

Thanks,
Brad

1 - 20 of 26 Posts