JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the stupid location of the steel valve stems on my Jk, it won't be long until a rock rips them off. A buddy told me I can't change them out for rubber because the steel stems have the sensor for the "thing a ma jingy".

He could be right, I am new to JK's. But I would sure like to replace that steel stem with a rubber stem. Anyone have solid info on this. I tried a search but wasn't smart enough to use the correct phrase so I got nothing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens if I replace them with rubber stems?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Your TPMS light will stay on and beep at you 4 times every time you start it. Eventually, you'll get used to it and not even notice it. I know because that's exactly what I did.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
You can also get an AEV Procal to set TPMS to 0 to stop the beep at startup.
Don't you need the TPMS sensors installed for that to work? If not, I'm definitely getting one. I'll need one sooner or later when I re-gear, but if it will turn off the light with regular valve stems installed, my purchase will be sooner than later.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
Since I need to re-gear also, I guess I need to learn about the Procal.

When you replaced the stems, did you use standard size or are they bigger than average? Diameter that is.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Don't you need the TPMS sensors installed for that to work? If not, I'm definitely getting one. I'll need one sooner or later when I re-gear, but if it will turn off the light with regular valve stems installed, my purchase will be sooner than later.
Nope. I put Rubi wheels & tires with regular rubber valve stems on my gf's JK and used it to turn off the sensor until I have time to switch over the valves from her stock steelies.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looking at the stupid location of the steel valve stems on my Jk, it won't be long until a rock rips them off. A buddy told me I can't change them out for rubber because the steel stems have the sensor for the "thing a ma jingy".

He could be right, I am new to JK's. But I would sure like to replace that steel stem with a rubber stem. Anyone have solid info on this. I tried a search but wasn't smart enough to use the correct phrase so I got nothing.

Thanks!
You can do it. I used the stock metal valve stems on my AEV Pintlers. I sheared one off at the base of the valve cap threads and bent two others. As you can imagine I wanted to go to rubber valve stems.

Discount Tire sells a band kit and TPMS holder that lets you take the TPMS unit off of the valve stem (it comes off real easily) and band it to the center of the rim. The bands look like giant hose clamps. I've been running mine like that for a few months now. The cost of the kit was around 50.00 or 60.00 plus mounting and balancing. I should have taken a few pics bit I forgot my camera.

Chuck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered an AEV Procal direct from AEV so I will disable the TPMS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts