JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to the normal functions, my battery is powering 6 aux lights, a high-powered amplifier, subs, winch, rear camera, nav system, alarm, ipod, elockers, trailer lights and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now. My question is, do I need to worry about my equipment malfunctioning because of an overload or will my battery just die one day and all the accessories be fine when I put in a new one? Also, should I consider adding a second battery?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had about that connected to the battery and it crapped out on me so I bought the yellow top Optima battery. They aren't cheap but do a great job with handling all of the wires attached to it. The wires are much cleaner now because you have more places to attach to. I am very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
battery=storage
alternator=power

That much crap, you REALLY might look into a bigger alternator. Dual battery setup is good for winching, etc when the engine isn't running. But a bigger alternator will let you have enough juice to run all your stuff PLUS charge the battery.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
you need to figure out what the amperage draw is from all the accessories and compare that number to the size of your alternator.

sounds to me like you need a bigger alternator. the battery won't be your problem.

·
Registered
705 Posts
x3 on the alternator - when your engine is running, you're pulling power from it, the battery is just a conduit on the path. You'll throw voltage warnings doing heavy winching and such, but that's a sign of your alternator not being able to keep up. If you plan on running all that stuff with the jeep _off_, then you'll need a better battery, and probably a couple of them.

Deep-cycling a battery, vibrating it too much, not charging it properly, and over-heating it are the most likely causes of battery death, IMO.

!c

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You should have a 160amp alternator which is plenty for everything, if not used simultaneously with the winch. The heavydraw will be your amps at full power, most people won't run them at full power. The big question is find out how much draw each item needs. Then do the math

let's say the car uses 30amps just to run on a normal day(probably high but it is a heavily computerized car.

30 amps Jeep Running with headlights
27.5 amps 6 Aux lights 55watts each
30 amps for Amp and Sub at full power could be higher/lower but need more info.
5 amps for trailer lights
10 amps for the misc electronics (camera, Ipod, Nav, and alarm)
10 amps e-lockers x2 (Eaton is around 4 each I believe)
112.5 amps Total if running everything at once. Most people don't.
Above is just an educated guess I would need to know everything about the accessories to be positive.

The amp is a big fluctuating current draw they normally don't draw much unless your really thumping.

The winch (Average for 8000lb)is 80-450 amps. This is why you turn everything off and rev the motor. If your pulling at max your using the battery to suppliment the Alternator to cover 450 amps.

30% yield would be OK, but you don't want to add much more without getting a bigger alternator. Its the momentary loads like power windows and brake lights that may set you over, with everything on at once. Your battery really covers for these and is probably rated at 660amps. Your battery runs most everything at idle, the alternator probably puts out 30-40 amps at idle(just enough to run the jeep)

If anyone has any better info or sees something wrong or I missed, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.