JKOwners Forum banner

Camshaft sensor?

25K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  pete_dwyer 
#1 ·
What’s up guys, new to the forum. I’ve been struggling with an issue that I just can’t seem to figure out. I have a jeep JK with 109k miles on it now. A couple of years ago I was on my way to Moab and when it came to a steep section of soldier summit my jeep went into limp mode. It had now power and when I pulled over I turned it off and back on and it drove fine granted the check engine was still on. I plugged in my scanner and it had a P0394 code which is the camshaft sensor bank 2. I stopped by the dealer and picked up a new part and swapped them. It continues for to have the same issue. I pretty much gave up on it and only drive it around town. Has anyone had a similar issue? I would be awesome to take this think back on some trails. It runs fine on the highway it just really struggles going up steep roads.

#5 ·
I've heard of this issue before. Bank 2 is the driver's side. What I've heard/read is that the wire harness is a little too short and that this causes chaffing of the wires that go to this sensor. The fix is to replace the pigtail.

Mopar part #68148103AA

Video on how to check for voltage at teh connector.

Note: Be careful with any magnets near the camshafts where these sensors go. Each camshaft has a sensitive, magnetized ring that can be damaged by another magnet.

#9 ·
I have been chasing this same error in my wife's Jeep for the last 6,000 miles or so. It has PO392, which is on the driver's side. In my research I have found it could be, camshaft position sensor, connector to the camshaft position sensor, wiring from the sensor to the PCM, the PCM or the camshaft phasers. The issue is that at a specific load the computer checks for 5 volts at the sensor, if it doesn't get it, you get the code.

Another fun thing that pops up is since the PCM feels it can't control the camshaft timing, it can't control engine torque, and gives you a traction control light. Then you get limp in mode which means you only get a small percentage of throttle and can't go over 3000 rpm. A shut down and restart clears it most times, the code reader clears it all the time, but it always comes back. On the plus side, it never comes on in 4 low. I am very interested in what you find.

#14 ·
I have been chasing this same error in my wife's Jeep for the last 6,000 miles or so. It has PO392, which is on the driver's side. In my research I have found it could be, camshaft position sensor, connector to the camshaft position sensor, wiring from the sensor to the PCM, the PCM or the camshaft phasers. The issue is that at a specific load the computer checks for 5 volts at the sensor, if it doesn't get it, you get the code. Another fun thing that pops up is since the PCM feels it can't control the camshaft timing, it can't control engine torque, and gives you a traction control light. Then you get limp in mode which means you only get a small percentage of throttle and can't go over 3000 rpm. A shut down and restart clears it most times, the code reader clears it all the time, but it always comes back. On the plus side, it never comes on in 4 low. I am very interested in what you find.
I have the same issue, but I have code P0349, I have changed both Camshft senors, I have done the pigtail harness for the camshaft driverside, and I have replaced all wheel sensors, thinking that was another solution. I am at my wits end! The deal was of no help, told me it is a never ending code! Doesn't help me. Did you ever get a fix? I am taking to a local shop tomorrow, I have talked with them, hoping they figure it out and it is not too expensive.

#15 ·
The last thing I tried was the PCM, it didn't work. The next thing I am going to try is replace the pin that goes into the PCM and the wire that runs to the sensor. We don't use that Jeep very often, so it'll be a while before I get to it.

The other thought I had was to run a constant 5 volts directly to that pin on the PCM that is looking for 5 volts from the sensor. The Jeep runs 100%, no misfires, no lack of power (when it's not in limp in mode) and no ticks. We have driven it on road trips over 1000 miles, taken it off road and since I wrote that post the street driven miles are over 9,000.

Let us know how you make out.

#16 ·
I finally figured this out on my 2013 rubicon. Was getting 0365 and 0369 after changing the passenger side valve cover due to leak. Did all the stated fixes like cleaning where the CPS rides on the cam, replaced the pigtail harness, checked the oil galley bolts (they were a little loose) and several attempts to locate a short in the wiring. It turns out it was in my case the relationship of the CPS to the ring on the camshaft. I ended up putting a 3/32 fiber shim between the sensor and the head where it bolts to. Made sure to size it so it threaded onto the end of the bolt so it doesn't fall into the head. Maybe when taking off the valve cover I knocked the cam where the ring is. It's a flimsy piece of metal similar to an oil seal. bad design in my opinion. I will admit it's very sensitive as to where it wants to sit in order to not throw a code but I have it to the point where it's not coding. This was very frustrating but might explain some of the unsolved issues out there. While adjusting, this also coded for crankshaft sensor and low signal for camshaft sensor which hadn't previously coded for. Good luck.