JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue, turned out to be the wiring harness going to the canshaft position sensor. This is a common problem according to the mechanic that installed mine at Jeep. The part is $43, labor $375. $508 after it was all said and done.

$375 to replace the harness??? I think my CPS sensor is bad too so I checked it out to see how the harness runs in case I have to replace it as well. I believe it just runs straight to the back of the starter. If so, it would take, at most, 30 minutes to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed out my clutch on my 08 JKUR this weekend. After I put everything back together, I got 3 error codes including the CPS error. My jeep takes several cranks to start up and then runs kind of rough when idling. Everything I've read suggests it is a problem with the CPS. I will be replacing it soon and hopefully that will take care of it. I'm also getting the traction control light that some of you experienced. Can anyone update on what they found out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever come up with the solution to these problems? My 07 Wrangler Unlimited has the same symptoms and the Cam sensor has been replaced twice but the issues continue. The check engine light comes on intermittently followed by traction control and electronic throttle control warning light which stalls the engine. Restarting resolves the problem for limited amounts of time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2013 with the same code and problems, changed sensor didnt help, have noticed this same this reported on the pentastar since them came out in 2012 on several forums, has anyone come up with a definite solution, i cant find one

·
Registered
15 Posts
update, took it into dealer, checked sensor, its ok, checked wiring harness, its okay, checked galley bolts, found one completely back out and laying in oil pan, they fixed this, but it didnt fix the problem, now replacing cam phaser, hope that works

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cam phazers

My son had this problem on a 2014 Rubicon. The check engine light would come on along with the traction control light. Only did it on a very rough gravel road so he thought it could be a wire or wiring harness issue. The mechanic at the dealership told him that this is fairly common and more than likely it is one of the cam phazers (there are four of them, two on each bank). If one goes bad, you will get a check engine light and traction control light and have reduced engine power as well as transmission shifting control. They recommend changing all of them at the same time and with 100,000 on his jeep, that is what he is doing. MOPAR price is about $80 each. Haven't heard back from him yet on the fix. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem and that's how I came across this thread, it's not on a Jeep but a Grand Caravan. Engine is the same pentastar V6 used in your Jeeps, it's the strangest thing changing the sensor did nothing and when it does happen I hear a slide valve clattering on Startup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In case this gets overlooked in my other trouble shooting thread about my no crank issues I've been dealing with I'm asking in a new thread. I searched but not much info can be found.

Can you replace a camshaft position sensor without the dealership having to calibrate the new sensor? Read online that someone was told (by a dealership) it could'nt be fixed at home with a new sensor. Can I buy new sensor and put it in myself, or do I need to have it done by a jeep dealer? Closest one is like an hr away.:mad:
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
SADDIS, 1. This is most likely the initial response from any STEALERSHIP. The Sensor itself can run for about 35 and up (at NAPA) we limited to 2 or 3 parts stores here in Hawaii. You will need 2 for a complete swap of sensors. And YES, you can do them yourself.. All you need is a T-30 torx and small hands (It can be a tight fight for your hands). In any case, EASY enough for even ME to do. Here is a link that talks to the replacement process but not necessarily a demo.
Enjoy!.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any new info on a definitive fix? My 2013 has the same problem. Cam position sensor code, CEL & Traction control warning lights and vehicle entering limp mode. Driving up long steep hills will trigger almost every time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts