JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case this gets overlooked in my other trouble shooting thread about my no crank issues I've been dealing with I'm asking in a new thread. I searched but not much info can be found.

Can you replace a camshaft position sensor without the dealership having to calibrate the new sensor? Read online that someone was told (by a dealership) it could'nt be fixed at home with a new sensor. Can I buy new sensor and put it in myself, or do I need to have it done by a jeep dealer? Closest one is like an hr away.:mad:
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the new sensor didn't fix my issue! I guess I'll have it towed to the closest jeep dealer an get them to look at it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What lead you to replacing the sensor?
This:
Copy and Paste from TSB

NUMBER: 08-023-07
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 06, 2007

SUBJECT:
Long Crank Time Due To Possible Contact Of Camshaft Sensor To Camshaft Gear

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the engine camshaft sensor.

MODELS:
2007 (JK) Wrangler

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one of the following conditions:

a). Long engine crank time.
b). Two engine start attempts prior to engine starting.
c). Due to the “TIP Start Feature” on automatic transmission equipped vehicles, once the ignition key / switch has been released from the “START” position, the starter may stay engaged for up to 10 seconds while the engine attempts to start.
The above conditions may be due to the position of the camshaft sensor to the camshaft gear. The sensor spacer gasket may have come loose during engine assembly and caused the camshaft sensor to be adjusted too close or in contact with the camshaft gear.

These are the same symptoms my JKUR is having to a T!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the gas lines from the tank and had someone turn the engine over and no fuel came out? Maybe pump is bad? Is there any sensor that would keep pump from working before I waist money on a new pump?
Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had the same thing happen occasionally on my jeep. I think I found a ton of links googling "Jeep no start club". Is it just turning over but not firing?

I had to put it in Neutral and then back to park and it would start. Never did figure it out though, switched to an LS before I got too far.

Sean

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same thing happen occasionally on my jeep. I think I found a ton of links googling "Jeep no start club". Is it just turning over but not firing?

I had to put it in Neutral and then back to park and it would start. Never did figure it out though, switched to an LS before I got too far.

Sean
It turns over and fires fine. I've tried the push on the handle and nuetral thing with no luck.
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, verify power to the fuel pump first. If a switch was holding the fuel back it, the pump would not have power. That might help you determine good/bad before buying a new one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
Turns out it was a bad ground near the computer! Updated the thread just I case others found this thread with similar starting issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Camshaft Position Sensor

In case this gets overlooked in my other trouble shooting thread about my no crank issues I've been dealing with I'm asking in a new thread. I searched but not much info can be found.

Can you replace a camshaft position sensor without the dealership having to calibrate the new sensor? Read online that someone was told (by a dealership) it could'nt be fixed at home with a new sensor. Can I buy new sensor and put it in myself, or do I need to have it done by a jeep dealer? Closest one is like an hr away.:mad:
Thanks in advance!
I have a 2013 Wrangler with the Pentstar V6. I had TWO sensors go bad in the past 4 months. Both times this happened the traction control failure light came on along with the check engine light. Luckily it's still on it's factory warranty and the dealer fixed it both times but now I'm getting worried about taking it on long trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marks890 - I'm in the same situation with my '13. mine has stalled out on a hill climb twice, no stall on the third. the abs/engine light came on each time with the engine light staying on until I got it to the shop. it ran fine on the way back. I've had the sensor changed once and waiting to hear back as to what they plan on doing. it's in the shop right now. if anyone has any other ideas it would be great to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marks890 - I'm in the same situation with my '13. mine has stalled out on a hill climb twice, no stall on the third. the abs/engine light came on each time with the engine light staying on until I got it to the shop. it ran fine on the way back. I've had the sensor changed once and waiting to hear back as to what they plan on doing. it's in the shop right now. if anyone has any other ideas it would be great to know.
What did they end up doing at the dealer? I'm having the same issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bought new, 2012 has 37487 mi and is 6 months over warranty, Figures. At least the head they had to replace happened in the first 15k. Auto Zone read the computer and came up with P0349 (Cam Shaft Sensor). I'm searching to get a location so I can change it. Not having any luck. Can anyone direct me to an engine schematic or drawing for the Cam Shaft Sensor location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Btw. Wrangler Unlimited with a PentaStar V6. Also the Malfunction light and traction lights both come on. It is an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Btw. Wrangler Unlimited with a PentaStar V6. Also the Malfunction light and traction lights both come on. It is an intermittent problem.
If you're still looking for this, send me a message. I probably have what you're looking for (I'm having the same issue with my 12 JK)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Wrangler

I had the same issue, turned out to be the wiring harness going to the canshaft position sensor. This is a common problem according to the mechanic that installed mine at Jeep. The part is $43, labor $375. $508 after it was all said and done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '08 jk. traction control comes on, check engine light, too. I lose power the engine won't take gas. It's always a cam sensor error. The errors started shortly after I bought it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're still looking for this, send me a message. I probably have what you're looking for (I'm having the same issue with my 12 JK)
What's the problem here? My 2012 wrangler unlimited is having this problem. The engine light is on, got that checked and it said camshaft position sensor. My traction control also turns on randomly and stays on, are these related?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts