JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few buddies and I are heading to Telluride late June to do some trails and camp for about a week. I have never been to the area so I am not very familiar with it. Where would you local CO guys recommend camping? Would I need reservations? Are there just random sites off of trails in the area where camping is allowed? Any input is appreciated! Thanks :smokin:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Telluride has a city campground - no reservations - neat because you are in town at the foot of main street. There are a couple of forest service campgrounds fairly close - Sunshine and Matterhorn.

It's not clear right now just what trails will be open in late June - it has still been snowing in the high country within the last few days!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Alta Lakes or over the hill to Ouray/Yankee Boy Basin

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
It's not clear right now just what trails will be open in late June - it has still been snowing in the high country within the last few days!
At this rate, I'm wondering how many trails will not open this year.

...on the flip side of this, we may be able to ski all Summer long. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks for the info guys! Ya were definatly going to hit up Ouray and the surrounding area's while we are there. Living in Kansas we figured late June would be warm enough for the trails to open up. When would be the best time of year to run the trails around there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
647 Posts
yeah...IF THEY OPEN AT ALL... august is your best bet. we got hammered this year

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
You know Tim, Aspen (Ajax) is open this weekend. See you here?
I would lover to! Hoewever, I have had a been string of luck as of late.
I won't be able to go for a while.

I am hoping for some skiing in July though. 4wheel/ camp/ hike type of skiing.
I'll make sure to call you for sure when we are heading out that way.:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Wow!!! thanks for the link! Looks like were going to postpone the trip for a few months.
Yep, it's best to try for August. However keep any eye traildamage dot com for updates...or post up here and one of us can check also.

There are a couple of members that live out that way on here and I'm sure can get us updates. There are a few of us looking to get down there this year, so I would say we'll come back to this thread to update...as snow melts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Awesome thanks guys!! I'll be keeping my eye out on the weather. I really want to make it happen this year. Every summer I tell myself I'm going out there but life gets in the way. I really live in the wrong state for much off roading...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I hunted Elk last season due east of Ridgway.
Couple of campgrounds in the first valley east, decent size lake (Silver Jack Resevoir), nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.