JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife’s 08 JK’s cats are cooked. Being that I unfortunately live in California I having a hard time figuring out what is legal and what’s not. Anyone else in CA replaced their cats with any luck?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
How do you know they are cooked?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Another note. While catalytic converters can simply fail, they are often damaged due to an engine running issue. Once you replace them I'd make sure you get to the bottom of any engine lights or running issues.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would replace your rear O2 sensors first. Take them out, hold them next to your ear and shake them. If they rattle the need replaced.

I got catalytic codes in my trans am and all it was that the sensors were going bad. They didn’t cycle enough for the computer and it threw a cat code thinking the cat was bad.

Just FYI

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find anything better than stock cats. 52059930AH
Better at what? Doing their job or flowing exhaust?

Just curious cuz, if it's flow, what's the story with high-flow cats, they not as advertised?

If CARB is enforced, it certainly is a strict policy, I wouldn't do anything but stock.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Better at what? Doing their job or flowing exhaust?
I'd say yes to both. Not much to gain from these engines by swapping to a "high-performance" cat or "test pipe" / no cat. Even the 392 hemis don't see much of a gain by dropping the cat.

Just curious cuz, if it's flow, what's the story with high-flow cats, they not as advertised?
Aftermarket cats almost never have to last 8 years or 80,000 miles, or whatever the federal requirements of the OEM systems are. Most of the "name brand" cats that I've seen only carry a five-year warranty, and even then you usually have to prove they were installed by a professional/licensed shop. Because they only have to last around five years, the aftermarket cats don't contain nearly as much precious metal and other stuff to match the OEM service life. So if you manage to find an aftermarket cat for prices comparable to OEM, you're either getting screwed or it's actually a well-made, long-lasting product (or maybe a little of both lol).

I'd recommend just getting a good low mileage stock cat from the local junkyard, unless you wanted to do some other exhaust mods...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts