JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
798 Posts
:) Only if you care about the warranty !

Anyone see a problem bypassing the stock cooler and just running the largest aftermarket i can fit in the grill?
I don't and heve been running my JKUR for 3 years without the stock tranny cooler in the loop !

Now, I've been a little redundant--I use two aux coolers, but my tranny temp never gets over 200°F, even towing !

:koolaid::koolaid: JIMBO

· Registered
1,152 Posts
BeerMonkey, the "cooler" is actually a temp regulator of sorts. It heats up the tranny fluid to a good operating temp on the cold days and of course, tries to keep the temp from overheating. If you notice JimBox is in Cali and you are in the NE. In short, the tranny fluid needs to be in the correct operating range to work best.

· Registered
798 Posts
:) My jeep lives in NorNv and she's subject to -10 to 115°F temps

warranty?? HA! that was gone 50k miles ago. what do you use for a temp gauge?

Those are Sunpros linked to the actual cooler lines-

I use ATF-4 fluid and the normal op temp when towing, is 160°F

The danger point is 374° and thats the "Flash" point of ATF-4 !

· Registered
11,039 Posts
BeerMonkey, the "cooler" is actually a temp regulator of sorts. It heats up the tranny fluid to a good operating temp on the cold days and of course, tries to keep the temp from overheating. If you notice JimBox is in Cali and you are in the NE. In short, the tranny fluid needs to be in the correct operating range to work best.
Heats the fluid? Not buying it since its in the ac condenser and you aren't going to be cycling it in winter except with the defrost on. And that's just enough to keep the compressor from being stagnant all winter.

· Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesnt heat it but i know my b&m aux cooler i run now says if its cold it will bypass the cooler part untill it gets to a certain temp. ill be adding a temp gauge, just need to figure out wherre i want it mouted

· Registered
798 Posts
:) The optimum op temp for the 42rle auto tranny is 180°F--

With my coolers the temp runs between 150° and 200°F and it's been very solid/shifting (5.38 gears) and never a problem when cold or hot-no bypasses involved !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.