JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I hope GM was smart enough to see the one. How long can an over priced, gas guzzler live off the Hummer name while having no real ties to the original. Not to start a wrangler vs hummer debate but when you look at a JK and the military spec jeeps of past you can still see the "jeep" in both. When I look at the military hummers, H1 Alpha and the the H2, H3 and the truck I don't really see much common.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I hope GM was smart enough to see the one. How long can an over priced, gas guzzler live off the Hummer name while having no real ties to the original. Not to start a wrangler vs hummer debate but when you look at a JK and the military spec jeeps of past you can still see the "jeep" in both. When I look at the military hummers, H1 Alpha and the the H2, H3 and the truck I don't really see much common.
The government cant fix stupid. No one can.

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
I don't think the wranngler will make it.

Think about it...If the government is willing to hand you billions of dollars based on you promising to make fuel economic vehicles what would you do? Keep the Wranngler or take the billions?

I am 99% sure the Wrangler does not fit in Obamas picture

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think the wranngler will make it.

Think about it...If the government is willing to hand you billions of dollars based on you promising to make fuel economic vehicles what would you do? Keep the Wranngler or take the billions?

I am 99% sure the Wrangler does not fit in Obamas picture
I would like to think you are wrong one thing that killed the Hummer (along with fuel mileage and not so good off road ablity) was that $71K price... but then the Titanic wasn't suposed to sink either.... The Wrangler is quite affordable and that should keep it alive...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Jeep is a branded entity. And without the Wrangler specifically, it would have no real identity. When some mentions "Jeep", the Wrangler is the thought that comes to mind.

Even if (due to gov't requirements) Jeep production was forced to stop making it. Any number of foreign owned auto companies would be willing to license the brand and build the them for import.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I would like to think you are wrong one thing that killed the Hummer (along with fuel mileage and not so good off road ablity) was that $71K price...
Not many H2's sold for $71k. The H2/H3 are not Wranglers for sure, but they are not supposed to be either. They are more of a jack of all trades offering good highway manners and better than average SUV off-road ability.

The article, as is so common these days, mixes facts with the journalists own thoughts/ideas. The H2 was not introduced to pick up slow sales of the H1, it was introduced to make GM money off the Hummer name. It should be noted that the H1 was not even called an H1 before the H2 appeared on the scene and was simply a "Hummer". Hummer (H1) sales were always very small due to the nature and price of the vehicle.

I think the H4 (HX) had potential, but was dropped some time ago.

Unless a foreign company picks up Hummer at a big discount, I think it's days will be numbered and wouldn't expect to see any 2010 models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.