JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking at buying a JK soon and was just seeing what advice is out there on what to look for when buying one. Any advice would be helpful as this would be my first Jeep but I have always wanted one.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
What year(s) are you looking at. Different things to check for different years-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
702 Posts
If you search the forum, you will find all kinds of posts on this very subject. Do your research then come back here to post more specific questions is my suggestion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have owned a couple Wranglers over last decade+. Here are a few ideas...

I would consider getting a bare bones Wrangler... and making it a rig yourself. I tell a joke that my 10 year old Wrangler never gets old... because I just add something and it's like a new car again. And you will enjoy learning about all the lifts, steering geometry, etc... can make it exactly what you want.

I also learned the hard way to buy quality aftermarket. You will keep the Jeep much longer than you expect and will replace every cheap modification in a few years. Better to go real slow and do it right.

I have 37" tires and it's a totally different category of spend. From 35 to 37 and your cost to modify the Jeep will sky rocket. I would also try and go for a balance between street tires and mud tires. Everyone wants that rugged look, but it will really change the ride on highways+.

I would probably not get a first year model. This is more of a general comment, but if getting a TJ, 2006 was last year... JK recently went to a JL. Let Jeep work out some kinks in newer models.

Finally, there are Jeeps that last forever and some that seem to be in garage all the time. If you can find a used one, will save you some money, and you can see the service records. If it makes it to X miles with just oil changes, chances are you have a good engine.

Just a few thoughts... that I wished I knew when I first started all this...

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Try to buy one from a midget.

And ya damn-sure gotta sniff the driver's seat. Best buys always either smell like beer farts or bacon.

Snorkle and hi-lift jack are true bonuses.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts