JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this will be my first post here, being that I am coming from the dark side of things( The FJ forum). I am planing on buying a unlimited Rubicon this week my question to you is how much should I pay? With the options I have selected the total price comes out to $37,905 MSRP. What should I actually pay?

The reason for buy a jeep in a nut shell is solid front axle! I had my FJ with a 6in lift, 35s and tons of other goodies but kept breaking things. I plan on running the teraflex 6in long arm kit with evo coilovers to help make room for a 40in tire. also plan on going with a dana 60 front and rear. Anyways any advice would help thanks every one.

P.S. dont tell anyone but I have always wanted a jeep!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a 2wd unlimited and use that as your base. You'll be much better off and the price is about half of what you're looking at. Trust me. If you plan to run 40's and all that other stuff just start with the 2wd. You'll probably want to run an Atlas and you'll have to run a built up axle (e.g. 60's) if you want to keep reliability.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What he said^^:beer:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've seen $5K off MSRP in the papers here. I'm not sure how that lines up with what Jason mentioned but it should give you some more info as to what's happening in my neck of the woods.

Dealers here seem to have a lot of supply.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Why on earth would you want a rubi to start extensive mods on it as you said? At the very least if you don't want to start with a 2wd,then buy an X or sport.:shaking: Welcome to JKO btw.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I completely understand where you guys are coming from but here is my thought process. If i don't get the Rubicon that means I don't get the dana 44s and the better transfer case. So if i want to do any wheeling before I get the dana 60s im kinda SOL (and lets be honest you and i know the first things i will do is a lift and tires). But its just a thought I greatly appreciate all the advice I can get and the warm welcome, I think im gonna like this jeep thing.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I understand where you're coming from. I think we were under the impression that you were going to rip it all apart right away.

Welcome to the site and although we can be a bit direct at times, we're here to help.

When you're ready to do the hemi conversion...let me know. Piece o'cake!!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The 2WD is a great option if you plan to do everything at once.

I chose the X because I knew that my mods would come gradually over time in stages; Lift / Tires / driveshafts, D60 / lockers / gears, transfer case, etc.

With an X, I still had a usable 4x4 between build stages. With a 2WD, I would have been without a 4x4 for a year or more.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The 2WD is a great option if you plan to do everything at once.

I chose the X because I knew that my mods would come gradually over time in stages; Lift / Tires / driveshafts, D60 / lockers / gears, transfer case, etc.

With an X, I still had a usable 4x4 between build stages. With a 2WD, I would have been without a 4x4 for a year or more.
I have a 2wd, been without the 4x4 for 6 months now....Maybe I should have thought things through a little first and got 4x4...now I have to wait before I can afford my conversion. Just one more year...It can't come soon enough:bawling:
In the mean time I have thrown in a 2.5"BB with 33s, 5.13s and an Eaton locker, plus some other stuff.:D

Runuover: If you're set on the Rubi go for it, but IMO go for the basic model and use the extra cheddar on your mods, it really has helped out in my case, minus the 4x4 thing. Ohh and when you put in an atlas and take out your Rubi t-case...PM me:D:laughing:

·
Registered
422 Posts
My piddly little X will hold it's own with any stock Rubicon. But, it's your money and you seem to have plenty to spend.. Haha... Besides, you'll have those "cool" decals on your hood.... ha ....

Welcome to JKO!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Or just go get a 44 from a junk yard and put a solid front axle under your FJ for < $1k

$38k seems recockulous for something you are going to tear apart and completely change all the running gear on anyway.

That's my 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts