JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably one of my favorite/most useful tools...

Start with a set of nearly whooped set of Trepador comps, and end up with more tread depth than new, and better than new leading edges. Groove one set of tires and the $450 groover has more than paid for itself

Tire Automotive tire
Tire Rock Shadow Automotive tire Flagstone
Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive wheel system Auto part
Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good fuckin shit.

Oh, look no astericks :lol:
:lol:

Wow! That's killer.

The grooves look very even as to depth and width. I have never used one, is the depth and width set or adjustable?
The width is dependent on the blade you use (and can be tweaked by bending the blade), and the depth is an adjustable part of the tool

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do you increase risk of blow out or damaging the tire by removing that much?

·
It never ends...
2,902 Posts
Its a great tool. That particular one works very well compared to some others I've seen.

I've brought tires back to life and made new ones better--giving more flex and bite.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
didja win that in a conte-- nah, fuck it.

That's pretty badass.
I think I would have to spend much energy refraining from falcon punching you in your baby maker :lol:

Do you increase risk of blow out or damaging the tire by removing that much?
Negative - didn't get into the carcass at all

·
It never ends...
2,902 Posts
Here is a pic of "before" grooving:

Here is a pic after, these are wide grooves, like 1/4":

Here is a link to the groover that I have: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Van-Alstine-Instant-On-Tire-Groover-110-Volt,2674.html It works great. Only takes about 30-45 min to do a full set, although I didn't do as many cuts as Molshove.

Here is a video of how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbUPjUY5f-g

People will do different patterns. The reason to do it is that when tires are aired down the gaps between the tread close where the tire contacts the ground. Different tires behave different. In general you can create more bite, better winter behavior, better water behavior, better flex over rocks. However, you have to be cool with cutting up expensive tires. :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I will ask the im a dumbass question how do you know that your deep enough or too deep so that you dont weaken the tire

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
:stirthepot:I had no dog in the fight but you guys know that some of you are angry with the OP right?:thefinger::thefinger:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.