JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a seach with no luck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

The lease on my 08 Sierra will be ending soon and I want to replace it with a 4door Wrangler.

I have a 97 TJ thats lifted with 33's and front and rear lockers that can handle most anything I would want to tackle in the 4 wheeling realm.

I would definately want to run 35's on the JK.

So, Should I just buy a Sport S or spend the extra 7G's on a Rubi?

·
Registered
516 Posts
if ur only planning on 35's then i would get the rubi.

·
Registered
516 Posts
or u could get the sport with the 44 and locker in the rear, then use that 7 grand to get a pro-rock 44. idk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed you cant get the 4.10's with an auto unless its a rubi, that may be a factor wanting to run 35's....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will guess that you will buy a new vehicle. If you buy the Rubi, you will get a guarantee. If you buy a lesser and convert it, the mods will not be covered as well a a tail light bulb that burn out on day 2 of ownership. It will cost more then $7,000 to convert to get the same as a factory Rubi.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I will guess that you will buy a new vehicle. If you buy the Rubi, you will get a guarantee. If you buy a lesser and convert it, the mods will not be covered as well a a tail light bulb that burn out on day 2 of ownership. It will cost more then $7,000 to convert to get the same as a factory Rubi.

Just my $.02.
It can cost a heck of a lot less than 7k to convert a Sport model to the same or better than a stock Rubi.

Mods on a Rubi may or may not be covered so if you're going to mod it don't over concern yourself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Buy a used Rubi. Resale will be there when you decide to sell it and if you are just gonna run 35" you should be able to have a lot of fun with the stock axles. If you put all the mods on an X the next buyer will have a harder time getting financed for enough to make your money back on all your goodies.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you're gonna keep your TJ for moderate to hardcore wheeling, I'd suggest saving the extra cash and not buying a Rubi... For a very reasonable amount you can regear the Sport (if you see the need to) and beef up the front D30 with sleeves and gussets for the 35's...

Just my 2 pennies.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do quite a bit of traveling for work which is why I am opting for the full doors also. The TJ is great for tooling around. Would I look weird towing a TJ with a JK? hmmm

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Still trying to figure out how you can convert a sport to a rubicon for less then $7K?

If I had to do it over again I'd go the used 2wd and open the wallet.

One other thing to think about is if you go to sell it, no matter what you do only a Rubicon will be labeled a Rubicon. NADA and KBB won't give you anything for your high $ mods and depending on who you sell it to they won't want to either; especially if you trade it in.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Still trying to figure out how you can convert a sport to a rubicon for less then $7K?

If I had to do it over again I'd go the used 2wd and open the wallet.

One other thing to think about is if you go to sell it, no matter what you do only a Rubicon will be labeled a Rubicon. NADA and KBB won't give you anything for your high $ mods and depending on who you sell it to they won't want to either; especially if you trade it in.
Used Rubi axles (f & r) - 1500 - 3500
Used Rubi t-case - 500 -1000
Used Rubi wheels/tires (if you care about this) - 500 - 1000
Sway bar edisco - not worth bothering

You are right on the value. It's worth it to the *right* person but finding that person is the challenge.

·
Registered
422 Posts
But, you do get that super duper cooler than cool Rubicon decal..... hahahahaha

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
But, you do get that super duper cooler than cool Rubicon decal..... hahahahaha

Mine kept peeling off so I had it painted on.;) I feel even more special.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have about $36K in my 2007 X unlimited six speed. But for that I have 35 KM2s, 4.5 inch Rubicon Express lift, ARB selectable lockers front and rear, 4.56 gears, 4.3 : 1 Atlas 2 speed transfer case, Tom Woods shafts front and rear, Shrockworks front bumper, Mile Marker 12K hydraulic winch, custom rear bumper, full set of skid plates, alloy front axles, and ACE rock rails (replaced the Rubi Rails). The only part of this that I would not have done with a Rubicon are the ARB lockers and I think they are better than the e-locker. I suppose i could have forgone the Atlas also but I like it.

I do have the Dana 30 which is beefed up with gussets and skids. Remember the only difference in the front 44 and 30 is the gear housing, ring, and pinion. The axle tubes and shafts are the same except for difference in length because of the size of the center housing.

Had I started with a $35K Rubicon instead of a $24K X I'd have $47K in the Rubi and have essentially the same Jeep I have now.

If you plan to build up the Jeep into a heavy duty trail rig, I think you are better off starting with a 2WD 4 door auto and put on it what you want. If you want an excellent trail rig that needs little more than a 2 inch lift to get you through 90% of the trails out there just get a Rubicon and enjoy.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Wow!! who paid $35K for their Rubicon. In '08 I paid a little over $26K for an Unlimited Hardtop. I guess if you paid sticker it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I chose to build an X. I havent been in a place I couldnt go yet (besides getting stuck in mud lol) and the end result will be a better build for a little more then a stock rubi. I didnt have the extra money to upgrade to a rubi when I bought mine so it wasnt an option.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
or u could get the sport with the 44 and locker in the rear, then use that 7 grand to get a pro-rock 44. idk
For that same price you can get a Currie Rockjock 60 in the front, both axles locked with good reliable aftermarket lockers, and 5.13 gears. This set up will kick ass over the Rubi too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts