JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an inexpensive JK. Found a 2009 with 120K for $17K, but the Carfax indicates two accidents including one with "frame damage reported". Since it's just for around town use in the winter I wasn't concerned at first but started having second thoughts. Is a JK with a repaired frame going to hold up? Does this happen often? Thanks in advance for thoughts.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,433 Posts
Offer $15,000 and take it to a frame shop. It will cost ~$750-1000 to pull it straight / fix it. Walk away with $1,000 in your pocket for some fancy beer. Not sure where you live but someone just put up a 4dr for $16,000 in the For Sale section. Welcome to JKO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally I would not buy that Jeep for 17k with frame damage. Even if you could fix it can you imagine what else could be damaged? I bought my 2008 JKU back from my father for way less. I do have 170,000 miles but, I'm willing to wager it's better off than that one with frame damage. Too many 2007-2018 wranglers out there to have to settle. Just saying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking for an inexpensive JK. Found a 2009 with 120K for $17K, but the Carfax indicates two accidents including one with "frame damage reported". Since it's just for around town use in the winter I wasn't concerned at first but started having second thoughts. Is a JK with a repaired frame going to hold up? Does this happen often? Thanks in advance for thoughts.
Honestly I would not buy any type of vehicle with Frame damage after two reported accidents. Also that’s really high priced with high mileage for being with two accidents. I personally wouldn’t buy it, it may give you a lot of headaches down the road. That’s my opinion though I’d save the money and get someone with less miles and no accidents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’d pass. I almost bought an 08 rubicon for 13k with 150k mileage a couple years ago.

I’d never buy a vehicle with multiple accidents, especially if the frame is damaged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know why people hate the 3.8 so much. I mean some of the 07 and 08s had problems but, that was Chrysler trying to go cheap to build more JK's. If you don't have the Mexico engine the 3.8 is very solid as long as you just take care of it. Think of how many Chryslers have used this engine with no problems? The problem lies with the transmission it wasn't geared right for the application. Changing the axle ratio cures 99.9% of the problem. Has for me. I'll hang with any 3.6L unless it's got a supercharger on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M
I don't know why people hate the 3.8 so much. I mean some of the 07 and 08s had problems but, that was Chrysler trying to go cheap to build more JK's. If you don't have the Mexico engine the 3.8 is very solid as long as you just take care of it. Think of how many Chryslers have used this engine with no problems? The problem lies with the transmission it wasn't geared right for the application. Changing the axle ratio cures 99.9% of the problem. Has for me. I'll hang with any 3.6L unless it's got a supercharger on it.
Mexico?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes a good portion of 07 were Mexico engines and some early 08s were as well. Mine was actually one of them. Spun a rod bearing at 60k Have 170k now so around 110k on this engine with zero issues. No consumption or knocking. Runs better than it did brand new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts