JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time to modify the Jk has come and I'm starting with armor. I already picked up front and rear Solid diff covers. My question is...

Could I replace the Socket Head Cap screws(grade and material unknown) that came with the diffs with Button Head screw made of heat treated alloy steel.?

The reasoning, I think the Socket Heads will be rock magnets and get damaged real easily making removal very difficult. With the Button Head I think with the smoother head finish, and the hex opening having more protection around it, would work better. Only problem I'm having is I'm used to just going out and replacing all hardware with Grade 8 for strength. And I'm not sure if heat treated alloy steel will be strong enough for this application.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
its a non-structural piece with a LOT of bolts in shear. I am pretty sure that you will have no problems with a non grade 8 bolt :laughing:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I would use button heads over hex heads any day, as the clamping surface of the button heads is large than that of the hex heads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts