JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all- before you give me any "mall crawler" BS, hear me out. My rig is a DD, and I wheel the piss out of it when I can, BUT, I'm trying to keep it lightweight. So far (knocking on wood! :)), I've not even had anything TOUCH my rear corners, BUT, I know it could happen.

To avoid the expense and weight of steel, I was thinking of adding the Bushwacker corner guards (~$200 less, or 1/3 the price, of anything I've found in steel) to my rig.

I ran a search, and found damn little on these. They haven't been out for THAT long, but one damn thread? Or am I search-failing, as usual? Would love some feedback from folks- thanks! Mark W.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Those kind of corner covers are great at covering damage but not at preventing damage.

One summer during a week long jeep event, I bashed in both of my rear corners on my 04 TJ--on 2 different trails. When, I got back from the trip, I pounded back out the corners, sanded and primed them with some anti-rust paint, and covered them with Bushwacker TJ corners. A few years later, I busted off the Bushwacker corners. So, I replaced them with steel corners.

Wait until you scratch or dent your corners. Then, you can cover the damage with them.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ That's kind of what I was thinking- I wanted to find out if they'd do anything more than guard from scratches. Sounds like not really- thanks, guys! Mark W.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
I have them to cover body damage, but thats about it. I got em off a guy for $50 so how could I pass it up. I plan to do full corners when i get more cashflow, but for the time being it looks better with these on than with the rear drivers side corner all torn up. And my passenger side had a huge dent from some damn tree.

But yeah, they won't protect anything, they just cover up my corners to make it look pretty. I have an 07 and I want it to look like an 07, not some beat to shit old jeep where a baseball sized dent and huge scrape looks normal.

See? No damage, right?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the weight excuse is over rated for this particular mod. I have the AEV corners and I don’t think they weight more than a case of beer. I know ounces add up to pounds but I wouldn’t sweat the extra weight from steel AEV corners. The AEV corner guards are super nice and very strong and can be taken on and off for touch up purposes. I would wait it out and getting something more purposeful than the BWs

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
More importantly i would say the bushwacker things should eb referred to as corner covers rather than corner armor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts