JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else burn oil at a rate of about half a quart(sometimes more) every 4,000-5,000 miles?
I also smell a burning oil smell through the vents when I come to a stop for more than about 45 seconds. I've checked everything but have no leaks, etc. I've taken it to the dealer a couple of times and guess what they said......the standard answer......"can't find anything. all is normal."

Believe it or not, I have about 52,000 miles on the Jeep and have smelled this since about 8,000 miles.....but have never had a problem related to this.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Engine light finally came on.

Diagnostic Code: P 0455

Evap Purge System Large Leak

likely a different issue.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I checked mine after 1,500 after oil change and found to be at the low line. I think it is beacuse I switched to sythetic. Will check again in 200 miles as it is time for a oil change. 12,000 miles all together

·
Registered
900 Posts
I checked mine after 1,500 after oil change and found to be at the low line. I think it is beacuse I switched to sythetic. Will check again in 200 miles as it is time for a oil change. 12,000 miles all together
X2 on the synthetic thing. Mine was never low between oil changes until I started running Mobil 1. Now I'm usually a half quart low at 3500-4000 miles. WTF? :confused:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
X2 on the synthetic thing. Mine was never low between oil changes until I started running Mobil 1. Now I'm usually a half quart low at 3500-4000 miles. WTF? :confused:
I'm getting the same thing, at every oil change (Mobil 1) I'm draining about 5-1/2 qts (including filter) out, but adding 6 qts to get the correct fill on the dip stick.

I did notice today that I have a small oil leak, not enough to even create a single drop, just enough to make the metal surface slightly oily. Seems to be coming from the bolts on the upper oil pan section on the passenger side. I checked all the oil pan bolts, upper and lower, and quite a few were pretty loose.

I don't believe that is where I'm losing a qt every oil change though. I have found that syn oils will find their way passed any seal/gasket that is marginal. Which is why I switched back to dino in my front axle, as RP would leak passed the passenger side axle seal, but dino doesn't.

As often as I change the motor oil, I'm tempted to switching back to just using Mopar 5W20 and seeing if there is any change in oil consumption.

A

·
0 Posts
I just did an oil change and just over 5 qts came out including the filter (Mobil 1). Same thing happened with whatever oil they put in from the factory.

G

·
0 Posts
I just don't use synthetic. Every time I've used it, no matter where in my vehicles, it leaks. Today's engines seem to last forever under almost any kind of abuse, so I generally feel like I will have sold my vehicle before the lubricating advantages of the synthetic actually pay off. Also, it's expensive. I like to change my oil frequently because of all the dusty conditions and using the cheaper petroleum based stuff makes that a little more affordable. I don't really know but I think changing the cheaper stuff more often (in the dusty conditions we normally encounter) may be as beneficial, if not more, than using the synthetic stuff but changing it less often. And I have fewer leaks!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I just don't use synthetic. Every time I've used it, no matter where in my vehicles, it leaks. Today's engines seem to last forever under almost any kind of abuse, so I generally feel like I will have sold my vehicle before the lubricating advantages of the synthetic actually pay off. Also, it's expensive. I like to change my oil frequently because of all the dusty conditions and using the cheaper petroleum based stuff makes that a little more affordable. I don't really know but I think changing the cheaper stuff more often (in the dusty conditions we normally encounter) may be as beneficial, if not more, than using the synthetic stuff but changing it less often. And I have fewer leaks!
I'm inclined to agree with you.

I have found that running syn in certain applications does help though. I use syn 75W140 in the rear axle and it is definitely running much cleaner than with 80W90 dino and seems to be coping with the heat much better. That said, as I already stated, I found that 75W90 syn in the front axle found it's way past the seals all too easily, whereas dino 80w90 doesn't. On other vehicles I've found that syn ATF stands up to heat much better also.

I run syn in the motor for it's better performance, not for longer service intervals, but I'm now tending to lean towards your approach and that running cheap 5W20 with regular service intervals would be no worse. The next oil change will see some Mopar 5W20 in my motor and I'll be interested to see how much comes out when I change that oil.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Gotta agree. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm going to switch back to dino the next change. Between the cost differential and the small leaks, I don't see any particular advantage to continuing to run Mobil 1.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
On another note, a buddy was running Mobil1 in his TJ and he switched to Royal Purple. Several times on steep obstacles he started losing oil pressure, he switched back to Mobil 1 and never had the issue again. I'm a big fan of RP fluids, but sometimes you just have to choose what works best for you, which isn't always the latest and greatest hi tech fluid.

·
Registered
314 Posts
First off once you go sythetic you must stick with it. I know this sounds corny but my dad told me this and he has own a automotive repair business for close to 17 years now. He said something about the seals or nonsense. anyways I was using mobil 1 and that is my regular however, I just switched to lucas syn 5w20 so we shall see if I have to add to that as well. Only time will tell

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
First off once you go sythetic you must stick with it.
That was true at one time, as synthetics expanded the seals in the engine and if dino was used yopu'd get a bunch of leaks. The problems arose from the high levels of ester used in early syn oils, this is no longer an issue.

Mobil 1 state:

You can switch from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 synthetic (and back again, if you want), without following any special procedures.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good to know thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts