Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Option 2 and 3

Votes: 3 10.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Say you had a wee bit of cash that was burning a hole in your pocket. You had been planning for a long time that you would spend that cash on a new set of 5.13 gears and a programmer to correct for tire size/gearing.

Then a new idea comes along... :innocent:

Get a new set of 36x13.50-16 bias IROKs, TSL SX, or 37x13.50-16 Pit Bull Rockers and put them on your existing wheels with your Staun beadlocks... and then get another set of wheels for your existing tires to use for the street only. Seeing as your state will not allow you to have tires that big and still pass state inspection, having a second set of wheels/tires would be necessary.

Both ideas have merit. I would like the additional performance of new gears and theoretically it would also get me better fuel economy. OTOH I hate that I have to balance my wheels whenever I go wheeling so it would be nice to have a second set that wouldn't get beat to crap and would still roll true day in-day out. If I went for a weekend trip far away I'd throw the wheeling wheels/tires on a trailer and swap them out when I got to the hotel...

So? What would you do? :laughing:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'd do a little of both. Get the 36s or 37s for off-road only and the 5.13s (for off-road usability with your upsized tires) but skip the programmer, since your tire size at least will be the same on-road.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
don't forge also that with those gears and tires your speedometer and shift points should be back to nearly correct so you may not need to spend the money on the programmer :beer::beer:

I say tires + gears - programmer if the budget allows that

what are the size of the existing tires for the onraod option? Only concern would be if they were too small for those gears. People look at you funny if you are in 4th gear going 35 mph at 5,000 rpm

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Will you ever get used to going thru the BS of changing out wheels whenever you decide to hit the trails? Unless you only plan to hit the trails a couple times a year...then I doubt it. Changing 4 wheels isnt the biggest PITA, but still...The last thing that I would ever want to do on Sun eve...before the Mon a.m. commute, would be to have to mess with that. JMO- I would replace the gears and go with as large a tire as the law will allow, and be done w/ it. With a jk, its my bet that youre not gonna have that "burning a hole..." feeling for very long.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Will you ever get used to going thru the BS of changing out wheels whenever you decide to hit the trails? Unless you only plan to hit the trails a couple times a year...then I doubt it. Changing 4 wheels isnt the biggest PITA, but still...The last thing that I would ever want to do on Sun eve...before the Mon a.m. commute, would be to have to mess with that. JMO- I would replace the gears and go with as large a tire as the law will allow, and be done w/ it. With a jk, its my bet that youre not gonna have that "burning a hole..." feeling for very long.
ha! Great post. I agree fully with everything you said. :beer:

Including that long burny feeling you get with a jeep purchase....:D

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
ha! Great post. I agree fully with everything you said. :beer:

Including that long burny feeling you get with a jeep purchase....:D
You should go to the doctor about the burning feeling, a little medicine will clear it right up. :thefinger::thefinger::grinpimp::beer:

·
Registered
932 Posts
...I hate that I have to balance my wheels whenever I go wheeling ...:
WTF are you talking about????

I have been wheeling for 20+ years. Run more trails per year than you can imagine over rocky Colorado trails and don't have to balance the wheels after every trip!!! That is insane! There is something wrong with your rig if it is that sensitive.

Put the gears in. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
True... changing out wheels is a PITA. But is it more or less of a PITA than having to go get your wheels balanced every time you wheel? I swear that either the weights get torn off (minimal evidence of this) or enough metal gets gouged off on each run that the damn things are flopping about like fish out of water.

Now it is possible that the wheels are being moved out of alignment of the lugs as my Pro-Comp wheels are lug-centric not hub-centric. The tire shop that balances my tires seems to think spacers may help, but I've been unable to find any that will fit. I think I'm going to have some machined instead. (OBTW - I hand torque the lugs to 100ft/lbs. Not enough? Too much?)

OBTW - I got a number for Pro Comp and called them for the specs and/or help of some type... and I've got to tell you, what a bunch of flaming ass-hats! :pissed: I spoke with a guy named Steve and he was the least helpful SOB that I think I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. Gee, thanks for all your terrific help Pro Comp. :shaking:

As for having that $$$ for long... no, this was in payment for a job I did and I always had it budgeted for the gears. I just got thinking how some non-street friendly, hard core wheeling tires would be [Borat voice] oh-so-very-niiiice [/Borat voice]
:laughing:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will you ever get used to going thru the BS of changing out wheels whenever you decide to hit the trails?
X2 I had that idea a few years back and after doing it once, could not be bothered to do it again.
That is a valid, reasonable concern.

OBTW - Cool new logo Phil :smokin:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I think that your "tire balancing geniuses" are smoking crack and laughing avery time they wave bye-bye. If you think its a balancing issue then You can use a grease pencil/ or Sharpie to mark where they are on the rims...Or you could tap em a little (if the stick on type) w/ a small ball peen hammer to make sure they stay in place. Also (if stick on type) the wacky tire shop you are having to keep going back to ...needs to make sure that the inside rim surface is free of grease and dirt before putting the weights on. Just sayin...I mean you dont want to have to consider sending them a Christmas card when the holidays roll around, do you? It shouldnt be THAT kinda long term relationship...JMO. And if youre shaving off that much rim...then we ALL wanna see some pics of what the hell youre wheeling through!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
All I got to say is GEARS, GEARS, GEARS.

Not sure what's going on with your balancing thing. Mine never go out of balance from wheeling. My tie rod gets bent and my front tires are towed in more each trip, but the tires are fine. I've gotten pretty good at adjusting the alignment myself.

If 5.38's ever come out, I'll be a happy camper.

Thread hijack: I here Rock Krawler is developing a tie rod flip using their existing cromolly tie rod. Guess I can go ahead and buy a new one now. I'll just use the regular ends until they release the flip ends.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
and lug or hub centric shouldnt be an issue ( I dont think...) especially if you are certain that lugs are all tight. How the %$#@* are spacers gonna help as well? It really sounds like an alignment issue to me. I'm not bein rude ...just dont like it when people sound like theyre gettin the runaround...Be it the tire "experts", Pro Comp, who ever...Your safety should be paramount to anyone working on your vehicle or providing you w/ parts or service.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
All I got to say is GEARS, GEARS, GEARS.

Not sure what's going on with your balancing thing. Mine never go out of balance from wheeling. My tie rod gets bent and my front tires are towed in more each trip, but the tires are fine. I've gotten pretty good at adjusting the alignment myself.

If 5.38's ever come out, I'll be a happy camper.

Thread hijack: I here Rock Krawler is developing a tie rod flip using their existing cromolly tie rod. Guess I can go ahead and buy a new one now. I'll just use the regular ends until they release the flip ends.
Hijack....

The only thing that gets me with rock krawlers tie rod is having to take an end off the knuckle to adjust it...seems like a huge pita.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not calling these guys experts at all. Not even a little bit. All I know is that I can go to the trail all nice and smooth. Once I get done for the day and am driving home things are jerking all over the place.

Up until last weekend there was no issue with alignment. I tweaked the tie rod a wee bit so now the wheels are toed a wee bit but that is all.

I honestly wonder if removing the wheels and then reinstalling them would make a difference? I think I'll try that tonight. When I've looked at the wheels after a rebalance it hasn't appeared that the weights have moved much, if at all, but the balance was perfect as I drove out of there. I donno...

As for the hub-centric ring... The hub has a "bump" on it that matches intoa corresponding dimple on the OEM wheel. This centers the wheel w/o the lugs being involved at all. All they do is hold the wheel into the onto the hub. The Pro Comp wheel does not mate with this bump and has about a 1/4" gap all the way around the hubs "bump". At this point you're trying to use the cones of the lug nuts to center the wheels. Maybe in my case things are getting knocked out of whack somehow. Again, I donno.

This isn't my Jeep, I was a couple ahead of this guy, but this is the sort of wheeling that is typical. Lots of rocks, close together, that shift on you and tend to grind into your wheels a lot.

OBTW - The weights are behind the fake beadlock ring so they can't get torn off and the inner weights are about an inch in from the outer edge, so I really doubt that they're getting torn off either. All I know is that after a trip things are not balanced at all.

OK, the weekend is here so I'll catch up with you folks later! :beer: ;) :laughing:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Put the cash in your retirement account. You'll thank me later.

Yeah, that's right...I'm the oddball. :D :beer:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hijack....

The only thing that gets me with rock krawlers tie rod is having to take an end off the knuckle to adjust it...seems like a huge pita.
I agree, that's why I've been leaning towards the Poly one, but I'm all about a flip. I know Poly has talked about it before, but they weren't sure if they would be able to or not. I guess I'll give them a call before I buy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts