JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question...do we REALLY need them? I noticed the other day that my drivers side bumpstop is rubbing my drivers side front spring. And the noise its making is driving me bananas... I can possibly redrill and recenter the bumpstop, but is it truly needed?

I wheel here on the East Coast, nothing more then a blue rated trail with some black obstacles nothing to exciting like the West Coast.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Are you sure that its not the spring that needs to be centered? Maybe it has shifted around... Maybe bumpstop is loose? Stock suspension/ springs or aftermarket?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did notice the bump stop is not centered as well as the passenger side. And the spring may have shifted an 1/2 inch from fully seated position.

The kit is the Poly Performance Synergy II kit and the bump stop is billet aluminum...they are freaking nice thats for sure.

Just the thought of have to take the spring out again is ugh...lol Other then that, the kit is really nice, i wish the ride were a bit softer but still extremely happy with it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Yes, you do need them, and it is not uncommon for the larger bump stops to contact the spring when you are flexing. However, it shouldn't be contacting the spring when driving on the street. As already mentioned either, a/ the spring is not in the correct position, b/ the bump stop is not in the correct position, or c/ the spring is curved/bowed due to bad axle position.

The spring sits in a retaining groove, so shouldn't move, but is easy enough to put right if it did.

The bump stops seem to mainly contact the inner edge of the spring when flexed, so having it sat slightly towards the outer edge will help.

If the axle is not centered correctly, or too far back or forward, this can make the spring bow, which can cause issues with contacting the bump stop.

G

·
0 Posts
Bump stops are definitely required. Removing them is a very good way to ensure some sort of breakage when you least need it. Their purpose is to (softly) limit the travel of the suspension before any hard contact occurs. If they are properly sized, they prevent hard contact and protect your suspension and steering components. If you remove them, you are likely to have hard contact when the suspension is at full compression and the results generally are not good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, you do need them, and it is not uncommon for the larger bump stops to contact the spring when you are flexing. However, it shouldn't be contacting the spring when driving on the street. As already mentioned either, a/ the spring is not in the correct position, b/ the bump stop is not in the correct position, or c/ the spring is curved/bowed due to bad axle position.

The spring sits in a retaining groove, so shouldn't move, but is easy enough to put right if it did.

The bump stops seem to mainly contact the inner edge of the spring when flexed, so having it sat slightly towards the outer edge will help.

If the axle is not centered correctly, or too far back or forward, this can make the spring bow, which can cause issues with contacting the bump stop.
Well i did notice last night that the springs are slightly bowed to the rear and not exactly up and down...But the bumpstop is DEFINITELY not centered correctly. Keeping in mind I only have new lower control arms...

Btw thanks to everyone trying to help me alleviate this issue. Its truly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts