JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, can someone school me in bumpstops real quick?

Planning on the RK Stock Mod Kit and running 33" (275/70/R18) tires.

I keep reading about bumpstops, but I gotta admit I'm not very well educated on the point behind the upgrades everyone keeps talking about. I sorta understand what they do, but I'm a little fuzzy on the finer details.

From what I (think I) know so far, bumpstops are what keeps you from bottoming out onto your shocks when you hit a hard bump at speed -that would be a bad thing resulting in bent shocks that get replaced a lot. Hence the name bumpstops, right... right? :laughing:

So as far as offroading and flexing the suspension is concerned, what are bigger, better, beefier bumpstops gonna do for me in terms of my articulation abilities (uptravel/downtravel, etc) and what would someone be risking by running their stockers after doing what I'm planning?

I'm planning on upgrading them anyway, just wanted to get me a little edumacashun ferst. :rasta:

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You wont sacrifice anything in terms of down travel but you run the risk of damaging your shock if you full stuff I believe.
Ok, so they're protecting the shock when the shock compresses, preventing it from "bottoming out" and bending stuff? Huh, sounds like I was (sorta) right with what I was thinking they do then.

So, to boil it down, upgrading to a larger bumpstop will limit uptravel of the wheels and thus save my shocks from being what stops the wheel when I stuff my tires?

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran a 2.5" lift with 33's and used 2" bumpstops in the front only.:beer:
Different length of travel between the front and rear being the reason?
I'm just guessing here.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
eh i didnt do mine...but i hate my shocks :laughing: i will when i go to 35's and better shocks.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eh i didnt do mine...but i hate my shocks :laughing: i will when i go to 35's and better shocks.
That's the thing. I'm upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, and I wanna protect my babies.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
That's the thing. I'm upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, and I wanna protect my babies.:grinpimp:
makes total sense i didnt have disconnects at the time so i wsnt trippin and now that ive spent some time on es9000s i hope they break:laughing: im getting an adjustable shock tho

·
Registered
866 Posts
Why only 33's?
You can easily fit 35's with that lift.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why only 33's?
You can easily fit 35's with that lift.
Because I am pretty certain my wife would cut my throat while I slept if I tried to sell off the brand new 275/70R18 Duratracs I got just last week.

When I burn THEM out, I'll be all set for my 35's :smokin:

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
makes total sense i didnt have disconnects at the time so i wsnt trippin and now that ive spent some time on es9000s i hope they break:laughing: im getting an adjustable shock tho
'Zactly.

I figure that since I like to do the sort of wheeling where discos come in handy, I should just upgrade the bumpstops while I'm under there since I'm a fan of flex & suspension articulation.

I should be getting my hands on some bumpstops from a 2.5" TF kit, so right off the bat, I'll have a frankenlift :laughing:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Dan the right size BS will keep you from stuffen your tire too far into the Wheel well.:smokin: Unsub

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah. You should only need em in the front. I have turdy fives and cant even hit the pinch seam in the rear at full stuff... I think its mainly because most people dont disconnect the rear when they wheel like they do the front so it does not flex out as much. I can stuff enough to where I cant fit my finger between the tire and the pench seam but it does not touch or bottom out my shocks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I only get very minor rubbing in the front and rear with 285/75r16 Kevlar MTR on 4.25" BSM 16x8" rims. Not enough to bother putting bumpstops in (my shocks don't bottom out either).

I would say put the tyres on and go flex it up and see if it scrubs badly. If so, then add in some bumpstop spacers. :) Your wheel backspace/offset and width will definitely make a difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whether you need bumpstops or not is something you can decide. They are not expensive. One thing to consider is that the front bumpstops go inside the coil - you have to remove the coils to install them.

The rear ones you can install anytime as they sit outside the coil. But to me makes sense to do the labor once when pulling the coils and put them up front.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whether you need bumpstops or not is something you can decide. They are not expensive. One thing to consider is that the front bumpstops go inside the coil - you have to remove the coils to install them.

The rear ones you can install anytime as they sit outside the coil. But to me makes sense to do the labor once when pulling the coils and put them up front.
Now that's a pretty good tip right there. Especially for someone's first JKO post :beer:

Fortunately for me, the plan for installing bumpstops is to do it while I'm in the process of in stalling the lift.

Tires already went on the Jeep about 200 miles ago.:smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts