JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get things all buttoned up for an install and want to make sure that I don't have to put my girl under the knife for anything to soon after a major suspension overhaul...just don't think I could handle any more downtime!

I would like to know how to figure out what size front and rear bumpstops and limiting straps are needed before having the suspension system installed.
I'd like to get these on all at the same time.

--is there some type of chart out there? Similar to that of the gear : tire chart that acts as a starting point to help determine sizes??

My final (for now) set up :
RK 3.5 long arm lift
37" KM2's
Flat fenders

And to those of you that will recommend a search :thefinger: not much out there. Either that or I'm a complete idiot because I've been searching for a few days now.....thanks for any reccommendations!

·
Registered
687 Posts
A lot of this depends on what shocks you're running.
Exactly! If you choose a longer shock, you need bump stop to avoid bottoming out and putting the weight of the vehicle on the shock body. If you choose a shorter shock, you can get by with less bump stop, but have to worry about tires contacting the body/fenders.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
With OME lt shocks on a 4dr with 37's and bushwacker flats I'm running 2.5" front and 3.5 rear. This works perfect for me, no rubbing on the flares. I had to trim the pinch seam and rubi rail in front of the rear tire of course. As far as limiting straps I let the shock limit travel and use coil retainers so that my springs do not fall out. I guess if you were to use straps you would set them up so that they stop droop right before the shock would.

·
Registered
458 Posts
3 - 3.5" front and rear and you will be fine. (recomended straight from Rock Krawler) I have the exact same setup and its perfect

dont really think you need limiting straps but thats just me..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it sounds like about 3 to 3.5 inches front and rear is the way to go.
Anyone else care to provide any insight or experience on this?

And it sounds like limiting straps may not be the way to go??
Anyone else using the Coil retainers to help protect things from pulling apart when fully flexed and three wheelin?

Thanks again for all the help so far and help to come:)

·
Registered
915 Posts
The best way to figure out your bump stops height is to flex your rig after you install your lift and do some measurements. I'm running the RK 3.5 xfactor plus with 35's 2.5" bump stops in the front and 3" in the rear with stock fenders. I had to trim a little of the rear fender but thats because my axle is moved back. If you want to save some cash make your own bump stops. It's really simple. Go to a metal yard and buy some aluminum and cut it to size. My rear bump stops cost me $8. My fronts came with my budget boost. You can buy round stock for the front and square/rectangle stock for the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.