JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 66 Posts

· Registered
11,379 Posts
Hi,

Two years ago I added to my JK;

I experienced bumpsteer and death wobble since then, so I;
- Had everything aligned (twice)
- searched the internet for the cause (planman's youtube movies etc.)
- added a high steer kit
- raised my trackbar
- played with different air settings in the tires
- changed the steering stabilizer
- Gave the wheels more toe out
Why did you toe it out? How much?

With your added caster with the Dynatrac you should not be feeling bumpsteer.

What does caster and bump steer have to do with each other on a solid axle? Usually it's as simple as drag link and track bar arc lengths.

--

OP, are we talking a mechanical bump steer or someones interpretation of "i hit a bump and it sometimes wanders"? Bump steer is mechanical, unintentional turning of the wheels. As in the drag link and track bar aren't swinging in the same arc, therefore causing unintended steering as the suspension cycles. A test for this could be as simple as supporting the frame by jackstands, pulling the springs and cycling the suspension up/down while someone watches the steering wheel. As mentioned, it's easy enough to check that the drag link and track bar are in fact at the same angle, "eyeballing" it is not recommended.

This is the first time I've seen weight distribution and "bump steer" related, perhaps I've just been missing out on this. Perhaps we're talking about two different things as well.

Is your front axle centered?

· Registered
11,379 Posts
In my case aftermarket drive shafts and vib's forced me to take my caster back to about 0 degrees! Now when I hit a bump it does feed back to the wheel. Bump steer is always there to some degree and caster helps to negate it. Lifts and bigger tires amplify all of it. The sweet spot with caster is around 4 degees stock and around 6 degrees with a lift and or bigger tires. All of our modifications are a give and take world and sometime more take then give! You just need to find the Happy Happy Happy spot you can live with!
Hitting a bump and the wheel just "fluttering" or shaking is not bump steer.

Bump steer is when you hit a bump and the Jeep changes lanes.

Increasing caster can mitigate the fluttering affect when hitting bumps, slightly, but is not quite relevant in a discussion about bump steer.

· Registered
11,379 Posts
It forces the wheels to drag a little over the road and therefore gives the wheels no chance to shimmy. The tires wear out to fast like this.
I'm aware of the effects of toe, how much did you adjust it?

· Registered
11,379 Posts
That could be true. When I hit a bump or puthole my steeringwheel moves. When both wheels hit it simultenaously the steeringwheel doesn't move. I tought it was bumpsteer. What do you think it is?
That's just the wheel shimmying and the force being transferred through the steering. The steering stabilizer will try to dampen this force, but it can only do so much.

This is pretty normal for a vehicle like this, we don't have rack & pinion steering like cars and SUVs. This is not bump steer.

1 - 4 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.