JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general opinion on bumpers? I dont care much for front full width (bumper goes all the way in front of the tire) but I do like them in the rear of the Jeep where i can get a bit of corner protection.
Is it just better to generally stick with stubby types? full length viable for the front?
I guess alot of it has to do with your fender choices as well, correct?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
'tis up to the owner. I agree it is dependent on the fender choice when it comes to aesthetics.

Most guys on here are about rock crawling. Getting the bumper out of the way and the fact a stubby cost a whole lot less makes this style the most often chosen here.

Flat fenders with a full length looks ridiculous to me, same with factory width fenders and a stubby.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant decide what i want to do fender wise.
If i go flat fenders ill have tons of mud, snow etc up the side and possibly inside when no doors are off. Now Its a Jeep and its going to get muddy and Im fine with that for the most part.
If i go full width flat fenders I wonder how that would look with a stubby style front bumper...

·
Registered
34 Posts
When living in Colorado and doing more rockcrawling with a dedicated trail rig, I preferred stubby and flat fenders whenever possible ... get that crap outta' the way.

But now, living on the east coast and using my rig for more DD duties and family camping (but still for the occasional run out to Moab :D ), I prefer full width to protect the stock fenders that I kept on the Jeep. I run the AEV Milspec which has very good clearance relative to other full-width setups I've run on other 4x4s I've owned.

T

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im on the east coast too. what trails that are here are usually fairly narrow. (some are glorified atv trails) but i probably wont be hitting the trail all that often. Some of the nice trails were closed. But camping and fishing trips as well as DD will be commonplace.
If i go flatfender style ill go with Ace's stuff.
PSC brawler front looks perfect to me...

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I went with a full width at first because I didn't know better. I want to get my tires on stuff before anything else. Anything that gets in the way is.. well... in the way.

Steep approach angle.... narrow width... hard to beat.

It really depends on what you want to do with it.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Yeah this is just what ever you like. I like the look of a rig from the front with a stubby. Check out the Poison Spyder stubby bumpers, very sexy and a choice of stingers. I like my Srockworks but the lead time to get one is crazy long.

Sent by Monkey Flinging Poo

·
Registered
407 Posts
Love my full length...soon to be putting flat fenders on too and will love it then too...I had a stubby on first and when I saw this bumper...had to have it. Oh and by the way, saw flats with this bumper on another rig and it looked sick as hell so I know it will look sick on mine too! Oh and at full flex...it's not in the way!

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
In the back if you go stubby and wheel then corner armor is a good idea. Full width does the protection. Downside is hanging up on obstacles.

In front a stubby is useful to keep bigger tires from rubbing on bumper when stuffed. If I recall correctly I was running into trouble with 35's on a 4" lift at full stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I am a fan of keeping things simple so I went with the PSC BFH front and rear and love the look but it just comes down to what you want/need. Good luck with what you decide

·
Registered
494 Posts
Around here, narrow trails and trees are the norm. My Jeep is a DD so I like the fenders. I am looking for a full width that doesn't break the bank yet has the look and features I want.I haven't found one yet.

Decide what you want to do with it then build it for that use.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Here is a full width with flat flares , I still love my full width but I don't rock crawl
Took some fancy cutting to make the flat flares work but I did it

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Flat fenders with a full length looks ridiculous to me, same with factory width fenders and a stubby.
my thoughts exactly.
Sorry to disappoint you fellas, but I thought my setup looked pretty good last time I looked at it.

Hold on... I'll go out and take a look again... :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
I lve my stubby. Great for clearance, cheaper, and gives it a more aggressive look IMO.

With that said, hit a deer one time with the front corner doing 60 mph. I did. Nothing quite like the feeling of your Jeep going airborne at 60 as it travels over the deers body. A full width probably would have pushed it out of the way....who knows. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I lve my stubby. Great for clearance, cheaper, and gives it a more aggressive look IMO.

With that said, hit a deer one time with the front corner doing 60 mph. I did. Nothing quite like the feeling of your Jeep going airborne at 60 as it travels over the deers body. A full width probably would have pushed it out of the way....who knows. Just something to consider.
That's what I use my stinger for. It's like a sight on the front of the Jeep. I just aim the tip of the stinger at the middle of the deer. I figure that'll deflect it down and under. I'm high enough that I can drive right over the deer and not touch it.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
There is no way in hell I'd run a full width on my Jeep. I've crawled over way too many things thanks to my wide open area in front of the tires to trade it for a full width. It's like having the approach angle of a pickup truck with a full width [Jaker's doesn't look too bad in that regard].

I have a super-duper stubby, wouldn't change a thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts