JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my TJ years, some brands that were regarded as high quality have gone the wayside. Others have risen from the ashes and appear to make a decent product. Without starting a riot, what bumpers are left that are hard steel? My last warn was.. Arb? Individual fabricators like VKS and others? Hard steel hurts to even graze by with your leg, or bump your hand into.. Does anyone understand? Am I nuts or is everything getting thinner and of inferior guage? Any comments are appreciated. I'm about 4 months out from a purchase. I'm not Interested in integrated winches. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lots of good choices depending on your budget. Most of them are heavier than you need IMO. I like the lightweight mimimalist/stubbie bumpers but I dont know if that is what your looking for. C/C, JCR, EVO, Poison Spider, VKS and Gen Right I believe are all still USA made. Smitty makes ok bumpers if you want cheap chinese made stuff.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thanks guys. It's a shame we have to weed through all this to get purpose built, function over aesthetics equipment. My ideal bumper is ideally heavier than average, grade 8 upgrades etc. Deer and other critters need to "stay outta the way". That kinda thing. I'm not into those giant hoops etc but a small horizontal guard is fine. Thanks. Any other experiences are a welcome read. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking to get a Metal Cloak front bumper 56" with light cutouts. I like the idea if you damage an end you just unbolt the end and replace or if you need a stubby for rock crawling just take the ends off. For the rear I am getting the Rock Hard with tire carrier.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can't go wrong with ACE. Stuff is beefy, comes powder coated and is relatively inexpensive.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
VKS is 90 minutes from you. Bump into some of Vick's stuff and I'd bet it'll hurt like you want, but so will a lot of others.

Really, it comes down to what you want. Many shops make good bumpers out of good material.

My vote? Buy a pile of plate and tube, an angle grinder, and a MIG welder and go post-apocalyptic! :bounce:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like his rock rails. Definitely a possibility. I'll look at his bumpers too. Only drawback is I have to etch and paint, but.. I totally get it, given his production costs, etc.
I work too much. I'd love to weld (have to learn first) unfortunately it's more efficient to buy and work overtime than invest time, training and dollars into a quality self build.
Those that have the know how are truly blessed.
More tested brands coming in, thank you all. This is what I needed. I'll research each one, and keep that father son team of VKS in my thoughts as well.
Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently installed an ACE Engineering rear bumper/tire carrier. So far I love the quality! I plan on getting a front bumper from them in the next few months. Pretty good prices, especially since their products come powder coated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just about any of the big name brands will hold up just fine. Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder, JCR, VKS, Rockhard, etc., etc., will take a beating just fine unless you're into crash derbies. Even then, I've seen tons of pictures of people who got into accidents and their bumper was completely fine -- the other car, not so much.

Trust me, if you're worried about a deer denting your bumper, you're being a bit crazy...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Warn Elite Series

I just installed a Warn Elite Series front bumper and a winch. I looked at a lot of bumpers, and the Warn was the best looking to me, and functional.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love my ShrockWorks front bumper. Built solid as hell and looks great. When ever I can save up the cash I'm gonna order the rear bumper.

Biggest draw back, and only, is the long wait to get one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just about any of the big name brands will hold up just fine. Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder, JCR, VKS, Rockhard, etc., etc., will take a beating just fine unless you're into crash derbies. Even then, I've seen tons of pictures of people who got into accidents and their bumper was completely fine -- the other car, not so much.

Trust me, if you're worried about a deer denting your bumper, you're being a bit crazy...
The deer around here look like goats.. I was trying to convey the thickness and stout design I was after, not making actual contact. I'm researching each one.. Thank you all

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keeps coming back to Poison spyder brawler with optional sway bar disconnect skid. No cutting, drilling, or fuss, and I can put the winch on later without removing the bumper.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered Poison spyder brawler, skid, and shackles. Will grind off crash bar. Thanks for your responses everyone!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for putting this up - I am in the exact same boat. Old time TJ guy, and looking now for a JKU Rubi - all my old "go to's" are mostly out of business...

Looking forward to seeing what you put together...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are reliving the same dream then. Since Christmas, I've managed to place the oil, Trans, evap, and sway skids in the Rubi. Just finished the bumper.. Likely the winch is next, or perhaps a TeraFlex leveling kit. I'm sticking with 33s. I put up a few posts..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bumping on bumpers...Interested!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts