JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my ooops on Saturday (see: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21498 ), I'm thinking of replacing the rear bumper.
There are options that range from $200 cheap-o tube affairs to $1400 rock crawling units with swing-out jerrycan & tire holders...

My needs are in the middle. I want it to be sturdy enough to take a hit, allow for my RR hitch that's already mounted or have a good receiver integrated, and have recovery points.

The Mopar unit looks nice and is a little over $500. And there's Rampage...
Feature for feature, the Rampage looks ideal. But, you need to ask, why is it so affordable?
Same goes for the front one. Are the other manufacturers out of their minds or is Rampage cut-rate?
Click the pics for webpages.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know that I'd purchase a bumper based on expecting to "take a hit", but I do like the look and price of the Mopar rear bumper. You can also usually find cheap or free replacement stock bumpers. And if you are expecting to take another hit, free is golden.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't know that I'd purchase a bumper based on expecting to "take a hit", but I do like the look and price of the Mopar rear bumper. You can also usually find cheap or free replacement stock bumpers. And if you are expecting to take another hit, free is golden.
until the hit smashes the plastic bumper up in to the sheet metal and that hit damages a whole lot more then the crappy stock plastic bumper.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Rooster was running a rampage bumper and it looks very beefy and well made. Not sure if he had any issue with it but you could pm him and ask.

IMO a lot of companies out there are getting the first run big bucks... and I know steel costs had gone up quite a bit, but ... the older model (tj, etc.) almost equal parts are much cheaper. I know R&D costs...blah blah blah...

I have the LoD and am quite happy. Red Rock Fab would have been my next choice.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Many of the more expensive bumpers are made in the USA.
This is more expensive, do your research if you care about our country.
and usually mount up better with no modifications, made of better steel, fit better, look better, function better, :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the LoD and am quite happy. Red Rock Fab would have been my next choice.
The Red Rock Fab is very nice and is starting to pull ahead.

Especially since somebody dinged my front bumper in Myakka State Park over the Christmas camping trip....

Oh well, we'll see what my Sweetie lets me buy myself for my birthday.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Have you looked at the Smittybilt XRC rear bumper? i like them.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Well I can vouch for the front!! I LOVE my Rampage bumper. The quality is awesome, the design and fit was awesome and Ive been mudding and rock krawling in mine with no problems what so ever. I can tell you a couple of things to consider.
1) behind the bumper there are a couple of places that hold water so a small hole drilled in the bottom so it will drain is in order.
2) With my sway bar disconnected and under HEAVY FLEX (Ive got a 6.5" lift and 1" body lift) with 35's my tires rub the back side of the bumper while turning. Not real bad but it does sometimes.
3) If you want to use your factory fogs you will need to fab a bracket. I opted to buy their fogs because they are glass 55 watt Volvo units and fit in the holes.
4) If you decide to go with rock fenders the bumper wont match up. It comes to the edge of the stock fenders. Im adding rock fenders and will be cutting the edges of my bumper off to make it match better
5) I dont have the rear bumper yet but Im still considering it. The pnly reason I havent pulled the trigger yet is because it has no tire carrier like on the TJ models. I dont think it would be a big deal to add anoher MFR's though.

Again, the bumper is SOLID and a very good buy. It even comes with a winch plate and shackles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
After my ooops on Saturday (see: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21498 ), I'm thinking of replacing the rear bumper.
There are options that range from $200 cheap-o tube affairs to $1400 rock crawling units with swing-out jerrycan & tire holders...

My needs are in the middle. I want it to be sturdy enough to take a hit, allow for my RR hitch that's already mounted or have a good receiver integrated, and have recovery points.

The Mopar unit looks nice and is a little over $500. And there's Rampage...
Feature for feature, the Rampage looks ideal. But, you need to ask, why is it so affordable?

I have the Mopar offroad rear bumper with tire carrier and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND at any price. Even though it may look good with Jeep logo (reason I got it) I can tell you that when offroadingtire carrier often opens and swings loose. Seems the design for locking tire carrier in place is not very good! I often have to tie it up with tie straps to keep it from openning while offroading! Definately not worth the price!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good info...

I still like the Rampage products and Red Rock Fab. The Mopar rear might still work for me since I don't plan to add a tire carrier...?
I like the way Red Rock has provision for a rear winch... ...but I'm not sure I'd ever scrape the funding together to mount one...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have you checked out ExpeditionOne's rear bumper? Its definately the one I'm going with when the time comes. Not only does it look pretty good (atleast to me), but the tire carrier also opens with your tailgate. I did hear of one guy having a problem with his, apparently the bearing races were never installed in the hinge of the tire carrier from the factory, but I'm sure that was just a fluke deal.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am looking for a rear bumper as well for some protection... So many options but I have to admit the Rugged Ridge looks good from the stand point that I could bolt on a tire carrier later if wanted.

There is someone on craigslist selling their highrock rear bumper, d-rings and roller fairlead for like $350 (i think he posted on here too)

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Keep in mind you get what you pay for.The Hanson bumpers are the top of the food chain so if you want the best you'll have to pay a little more and when you get it you'll be happier then a dog with two d***s and then you won't have to complain on the web about how wrong products rattle or shake going down the trial.
PS the factory fogs fit in the Hanson

·
Registered
314 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts