JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone could share some pics/advice on bumpers? I am very interested in switching out the bumper and have no idea where to begin. I don't do much off-roading so don't need anything heavy duty. Thanks in advance for the help!! :beer:

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
I am sure you will find MANY different answers on this one. Do you have any more of a idea of what you would like? Full width, mid width, stubby? What about a winch mount? What about fog lights? Would you like a bar on there or a stinger?

Let us know and I am sure we can help point you in the right direction...

-Jason

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Front bumpers have a lot of variations. What kind of functionality are you looking for? Winch or not, fog lights, extra offroad or driving lights... I like the looks of the new rugged ridge aluminum one. Light weight, decent cost, maintains fogs and gives room for winch or no winch and extra lights.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Bumpers are a broad inquiry. There are several styles, the prices vary a lot and so does the weight of them. I personally would suggest Poison Spyder Customs Brawler Lite. Then there is the relatively cheap but popular Rugged Ridge XHD, the steel version of the one Peanut suggested. The rugged ridge’s are modular in that you can add end caps, hoops/stingers, d rings, and has fog light provisions.

What are you running? JKU, Rubicon, 2 door? Are you lifted?

-Dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just bought a Best Top High Rock bumper, one of the stubby ones. Winch mount ready. I don't have it yet, but hope to have it in a week. I will let you know the details on it when it arrives, if interested. It was cheap!!!!! Less than 300 bucks and free shipping. Have no idea of the quality, sort of rolling the dice on this one.

Brent

·
Registered
78 Posts
ARB..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Check out everything that you can find, the list is endless:

Poison Spyder
GenRight
Hanson
Shrockworks
Smittybilt
Or-Fab
ARB
Warn
Metalcloak
LoD
Expedition One
Poly Performance
Rock Krawler
Teraflex
Rugged Ridge
Etc...

-Decide what you like.
-What you want it to do.
-What accessories you want.
-How much you want to pay.
-How much work you want to/are able to put into it (like some Poison Spyder and others require major frame trimming)

Spend plenty of time searching JKO ...remembering that a lot of what's on here is great information ...but a lot of it is opinion driven, valid, simply based on personal preference. I know I have my own.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
What he said ^^^

And Jason at KOR is the man and can get you what you need!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Check out everything that you can find, the list is endless:
^ This, you'll usually see people go through 2 bumpers or so on their rig. That is definitely not uncommon. Most importantly is probably the width, such as the ARB posted above. That is a great looking bumper with factory flares. However, the flares are usually the first to go in favor of suspension travel/tire clearance. Cut or aftermarket flares look pretty terrible with a full width bumper. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The bumpers are (for the most part) easy to swap. I say for the most part, because some will require cutting, but they are a minority. Find out what you want, get a socket set and get to work. An extra pair of hand can help if you pick a heavy bumper, but OE removal is a one person job.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd recommend the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper for the following:

- multi configurations (can add a hoops or stinger-ish bar)
- fairly light (<63lbs)
- comes in a winch or non-winch config
- can use full length ends, no ends, or stubby ends
- Factory fog lights install well
- Pre-finished
- price is reasonable
- well made & 3/16" steel
- easy install, no modifications to your Jeep required

I'm currently running one now and have no complaints. I like how the winch is recessed in the bumper as well.

I have not seen the aluminum version in person, though not a fan. Setting aside the looks, I believe it is very pricey and exceeds most US built top end bumpers.

There are MANY great choices out there! Good luck deciding

:beer:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have not seen the aluminum version in person, though not a fan. Setting aside the looks, I believe it is very pricey and exceeds most US built top end bumpers.

There are MANY great choices out there! Good luck deciding
Its actually cheaper then a lot of steel bumpers ;) And its a GA based business.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i just got the rugged ridge xdh and love it. i like that its modular and i can change it up easily. and you can find them for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Your the black sheep. No love for you

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I just noticed Warn has a new front bumper for JK's. Stubby version maintains fogs and can come with a bull bar or not.
Actually looks like a cool bumper.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its actually cheaper then a lot of steel bumpers ;) And its a GA based business.
Georgia office/warehousing/distribution, but almost everything is made overseas (China).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts