JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my XHD bumper and M8000 winch (don't even have the wire rope on it yet as I am still fighting with mounting the solenoid) - and I have to say I immediately noticed the extra weight in the front when driving.

Rolling off a speed bump I even felt the bumpstops for the first time -never happened before driving on the street. Just a general feeling of weight in the front.

Anyone else notice that? Adding the TF leveling kit...but I see some better springs in the near future....

G

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Im guessing that you are still at stock height with stock springs? If you were lifted some then that would not happen, those stock springs are pretty soft too... Leveling kit may take care of that problem but if you dont plan on going any higher you may want to look into getting some higher rated springs... The Rubicon Unlimited Hardtop with tow package springs may be something that you want to look into also.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same thing happened to mine after I added a winch and bumper. New, heavier coils fixed it. The extra weight from the winch overloades the stock springs and just made the front end feel spongy and heavy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,

Added the Teraflex Leveling kit last night and that has helped. I noticed on the springs some part # tags. Is there a reference somewhere that compares the different spring part #'s? I think there is a short # (I think 5312 or something like that), and also a longer part # (mine both end in 17 I think).

Grant

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I did the same thing and added a 1 3/4 leveling kit in the front and only about 6 months later its starting to sag again. go get springs and good ones.i have to buy a set of 2" coils now or just live with the rake again until the money tree sprouts a RK kit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My bumper and winch added 144#’s. I was looking at leveling kits but I didn’t see how that would take the weight off the springs. My JK came with the softest possible springs. It was suggested that I get old man emu 2’’ springs. 150 bucks borrowed tools and an easy install. Well it looked like the front was lifted 2’’ not level at all. I was planning on a new rear bumper with tire carrier so I to that order I added a set of 2’’ springs. You get the front springs and level the back. But lifting 2’’ would look good and allow slightly bigger tires.

Warning posted by novice mechanic

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
You need heavier duty coils and shocks. I just added a stubby and synthetic line 8k# winch and haven't felt a difference - the front dropped by less than 1/4". I'm running the TF 2.5" coil lift. I'm sure it'll sag a little with time, but I may just add some 3/4" poly spacers to the coils and be done with it.

If you have a 2-door X or Sport model, try installing some unlimited Rubicon springs and shocks. You should be able to find them from a take-off on the for sale or free forums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts