JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to save a few bucks and paint my new bumper in the garage. I'm no stranger to the rattle can, rather I'm looking for reco's on a flat or semi gloss textured black paint to somewhat match textured black powder coating. Any input is appreciated...
Oh...also, has anyone used the "hammered" texture paint?

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
I would recommend the rust oleum spray on Bedliner. I bought some to touch up my textured powdercoated bumpers, since I have sanded by bumper down and hit it with that.

I also just ordered a BFH and sold my brawler lite, so I will be using it to do the whole bumper in the coming weeks.

I have also used the hammered finish stuff, for a few house projects and did a kids bike with it. Actually is pretty nice and tough as nails ! No ambitions to do anything on the jeep with it though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend the rust oleum spray on Bedliner. I bought some to touch up my textured powdercoated bumpers, since I have sanded by bumper down and hit it with that.

I also just ordered a BFH and sold my brawler lite, so I will be using it to do the whole bumper in the coming weeks.

I have also used the hammered finish stuff, for a few house projects and did a kids bike with it. Actually is pretty nice and tough as nails ! No ambitions to do anything on the jeep with it though.
I think I have some Rusto bed liner. I've never used it on any "harms way" parts for fear it wouldn't hold up well. Do you spray it over primer?

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
X2 on this recommendation. I just used it on a set of Poison Spyder Crusher Flares and they came out great! Can says it can be used over primer or bare metal. I used a self etch primer first just to be safe. And aluminum is sometimes difficult to get paint to adhere to. Used this a few months ago on a Hi-Lift carrier I built and it is holding up pretty well. It has more of a hard feel to it than some bedliners, and seems pretty tough. The beauty of it is that touch up is super easy and the texture blends with itself pretty well also. One word of caution though, this does not have the film thickness of some other bedliner products out there so it won't "hide" much better than paint. So your surface imperfections WILL show - surface prep will need to be almost the same as for paint.

I have also used the hammered for another project in the past. Texture was just OK, not great IMO, but it could be I just needed to refine the application technique. The worst problem was the UV damage. After two years there was NO texture and the paint was breaking down. This was on a set of tube bumpers on a truck, so was outdoor, in car washes, etc.

Depending on the texture you're trying to match, you might also want to look into some Wrinkle Finish paint. It's pretty readily available. I think Duplicolor sells one. I have some (not Duplicolor) around so if you need a name, shoot me a PM and I'll get it for you.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Yup, used it over a few coats of self etching primer. What's better for parts that get beat up than somethingyou can tape off and hit with the spray can for touch up ?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I used the Rustoleum textured when I paint mine. Looks closer to powder coat than most out there.

Get a can of each that you are considering and see what each one turns out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
X2 on this recommendation. I just used it on a set of Poison Spyder Crusher Flares and they came out great! Can says it can be used over primer or bare metal. I used a self etch primer first just to be safe. And aluminum is sometimes difficult to get paint to adhere to. Used this a few months ago on a Hi-Lift carrier I built and it is holding up pretty well. It has more of a hard feel to it than some bedliners, and seems pretty tough. The beauty of it is that touch up is super easy and the texture blends with itself pretty well also. One word of caution though, this does not have the film thickness of some other bedliner products out there so it won't "hide" much better than paint. So your surface imperfections WILL show - surface prep will need to be almost the same as for paint.

I have also used the hammered for another project in the past. Texture was just OK, not great IMO, but it could be I just needed to refine the application technique. The worst problem was the UV damage. After two years there was NO texture and the paint was breaking down. This was on a set of tube bumpers on a truck, so was outdoor, in car washes, etc.

Depending on the texture you're trying to match, you might also want to look into some Wrinkle Finish paint. It's pretty readily available. I think Duplicolor sells one. I have some (not Duplicolor) around so if you need a name, shoot me a PM and I'll get it for you.
Are you using rattle cans or a HVLP spray gun?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, used it ver a few coats of self etching primer. What's better for parts that get beat up than so etching you can tape off and hit with the spray can for touch up ?
I don't disagree, I just haven't done it yet. I suspect that's going to change this weekend.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the Rustoleum textured when I paint mine. Looks closer to powder coat than most out there.

Get a can of each that you are considering and see what each one turns out.
I think that's the route I'm going to take. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I use...

Rust-Oleum Self Etching Primer
Rust-Oleum Satin Textured Black

Still looks perfect a year later...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like both the Duplicolor or Rustoluem Spray on bed liner or the Rustoleum Hammered Finish brush-on paint. I've had great success with both in the past and only went with the bed liner on my JK's bumpers because it matches the flares better.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had been using krylon, semi flat as its uv stable, but as Im respraying fairly often just going to go rustoleum. Easier to find. But those arent textured.

Id like to know what I can get in cali. To match wrinkle black powdercoat though as it seems a lot of products are on the banned list

sent from my difference engine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wouldn't say fusion is uv stable. That shit didn't last six months on my fenders. Plus, mud permanently stains it.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Are you using rattle cans or a HVLP spray gun?
Sorry to drop out on you guys. I'm using the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating in a rattle can. Here are a couple of shots from my Poison Spyder fenders I did on Tuesday.

Been letting these cure the requisite 72 hours so they don't stick, but am planning to get them installed tomorrow. At a little distance, they really don't look too much different than the factory texture, just blacker. (See my build thread for a teaser shot of the fronts clamped in place.)

The fenders are aluminum. They came DA sanded from PS, so prep was minimal. Had a few nicks from shipping damage that took a little spot putty, then self-etching Duplicolor primer, scuff when dry, and spray the bed coating. Follow the directions on the can and beware because this stuff goes on FAST! You can run it in a heartbeat if you get too close or too slow.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have used both the rustoleum bedliner and the rustoleum flat black. Both work well. Also look at the rustoleum hammered. I have used that on my new PSC parts for the LJ and it has turned out really good.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Did the rockers on my ZJ with Duplicolor Bed Armor a few months back, holding up pretty well to my shoes always rubbing against it when I get in/out. Waiting to see how well it'll hold up with all the winter shit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Self etching primer on...Rustoleum Bed liner coats start tomorrow

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts