JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting some more power out of the jk. Contemplating going with a built v6. Magnuson supercharger. Prodigy performance forged internals and fuel upgrades, and mishimoto cooling. Or do I go with an lt4 swap with all the parts provided by motech. Which way would yall go? Both routes will net me the same hp

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Supercharged v6 isnt going to make the same power as an LT4 unless you REALLY lean on it in which case reliability is a concern. You need to more than double the stock power of the 3.6 to reach the 650 hp of the LT4.

The transmission behind an LT4 is going to be far superior and reliability will be higher since its an OEM engine configuration. That does come at a significantly higher cost though.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you're in a location where you are exempt from smog inspections, then go with the V8 swap and be done.

It sounds like you might have a Pentastar. You only really need the upgraded internals from Prodigy if you are running double digit boost, presumably in a turbo application. Even prodigy will tell you that. The Magnusson kit probably won't even break 9.9 psi with the high altitude kit. The Edelbrock kit is the same as the Magnusson with the smaller pulley already included. Swapping out the stock intake with a higher flow intake gets you a little more boost as did the water methanol kit I was running (it sealed the rotors better). Even with my manual transmission and spinning the engine and supercharger all the way to red line, developing the maximum possible boost, I only logged ~10.01 psi a couple of times. If you end up supercharging, skip the beefed up internals. The bottom end on a Pentastar is already forged and has 4 bolt main bearings. I've been inside my Pentastar (at 90k miles) and it's a beautiful engine. Very stout. Mine showed almost no wear at all even after all of the punishment I have handed down. Supercharger, WMI, driving it like I stole it and running it to redline. I had the heads off for head gaskets plus I pulled the oil pan and some rod and crank bearing caps for inspection. Amazingly pristine inside of the 90k mile Pentastar.

Doing it over again, I would skip the supercharger altogether. But now that the RIPP XL kit is out (it came out after I had already removed and sold the Edelbrock), I would probably eat crow on the whole TVS vs centrifugal argument and consider that one instead.

Almost everyone I wheel with that has had a supercharger has since removed it and gone to a V8 or back to a stock Pentastar. I'm the odd man out who went back to a stock Pentastar but I have a manual transmission, a 91 octane tune and a couple of other minor mods. That's a different story for a different thread, though.

To support the notion that you don't really need to upgrade the internals unless you go for some wild boost numbers (presumably with a turbocharger instead of a supercharger), have a look at this video of what a Pentastar looks like after 625,000 hard miles in a delivery/service van.

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
I’d be more concerned with the dinky drivetrain in my JKU with LT4 power. I have a 6spd ZL1 and GM tunes in a “bog” so they can warranty it and keep ya from a true clutch dump lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts