JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my JKU is a little less than three weeks old and needs a lift. So I ordered a Teraflex BB. Whilst I'm waiting for it to come in, I thought I'd ask you guys if there are any tips/tricks to getting this thing installed. I'll be doing it in a friend's garage with jack stands and a floor jack.

I don't have an impact wrench, so it's gonna all be by hand. How much should I worry about the required torque specifications for some of the bolts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That is going to be brutal without an impact but doable - just take longer.

I just installed my lift but since I still need to adjust the control arms, I just torqued them down with the impact (but not full force). I'll adjust a torque all of the suspension pieces to spec when I'm done. I'm not a torque-nazi and have been turning wrenches long enough to know what is tight. But there are some things that are critical (not sure control arm torque is crtical). If you have a torque wrench though, it never hurts to use it.

Front torque specs: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-torque-settings#frontsusp

Rear torque specs: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-torque-settings#rearsusp

·
Registered
250 Posts
Teraflex posted a You Tube video of the install. Watch it a few times, and save it for reference if you get stuck. It is however a pretty strait forward install.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I'm a fan of hand tools myself. You might say I'm crazy, but that's how I roll. I am usually wrenching in the middle of the night too, so I have to be mindful of my family with the noise.

I use a torque wrench on every bolt. I've never had death wobble, a shimmy, a shake, a rattle, or anything. Just spend the money on a torque wrench and put it to work. You might think you know what 140 FT/LB feels like, but I promise you aren't getting it there with a standard 1/2" drive ratchet. I will go out on a limb here and say that most folks who have issues with wobbles and shakes haven't properly torqued their replacement components which leads to wear and tear and eventual wobbles and a post here screaming for help. Torque your bolts to spec!

Get tall jack stands. You want 6 ton or better so that the Jeep is high enough off the ground to easily drop the axles down to get the springs out. Nothing sucks more than getting ready to pull the coils out and finding out your axle is hitting the concrete before the coil unseats.

Overall this install shouldn't be too difficult. It'll take you a few hours, but it's easy and you'll know your Jeep better by the time you're rolling down the road again. :)

Enjoy and welcome to the addiction!

Marcus

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Don't be skeered. I've done all of my work with hand tools and jack stands, including full suspension replacements. As Marcus mentioned, get some burly stands that are tall enough, a 1/2" torque wrench (doesn't have to be a fancy expensive one), and a 1/2" inch breaker bar. A stool to sit on, and possibly some knee pads are helpful also (insert expected fellatio joke here). Budget boosts are easy-peasy and a great way to get comfortable and familiarize yourself with the suspension of the Jeep.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did the Teraflex w/shocks install totally by myself in the driveway. It felt like a lot of work laying on the ground, but overall wasn't terrible. I think the single toughest part doing it in that position was pushing the spacers into the holes. I had no leverage at all laying on the ground (you can see the dude in the Teraflex video has it nice and high on a lift when he seats them by hand).

The trick I used was the Jeep scissor jack and a block of wood to push them up into place. If you don't hear the "pop", they probably aren't seated. I wrestled around with the coil springs in the front for what seemed to be a prolonged amount of time, but I'm going to just strike that up to being tired.

Totally worth killing a Saturday for! :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts