JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spending a week in Woodstock, VT, with the family and have been mountain biking every morning.

Trails are great but the weather is not being very kind. Hit the trail at 7:45 this morning and it was 46 degrees. Got back to the trailhead at 9:15am and it was 47 degrees and raining. WTF!! Don't have pictures because not even the locals want to ride with me in this weather.

There are a TON of Jeeps on the roads up here but 99% of them are stock. Some of the driveways around here are more hardcore than the trails in Florida!! I live in the wrong state.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Always wanted to check out that part of the country... especially Maine. Are the fall colors good there yet? In Wisconsin we're about 50-60% to peak colors. Still a lot of green, but some really nice reds, yellows and oranges happening. The trees in our yard are bare already due to a big wind/rain storm we had a couple days ago. It's very dry here too.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Spending a week in Woodstock, VT, with the family and have been mountain biking every morning.

Trails are great but the weather is not being very kind. Hit the trail at 7:45 this morning and it was 46 degrees. Got back to the trailhead at 9:15am and it was 47 degrees and raining. WTF!! Don't have pictures because not even the locals want to ride with me in this weather.

There are a TON of Jeeps on the roads up here but 99% of them are stock. Some of the driveways around here are more hardcore than the trails in Florida!! I live in the wrong state.
Enjoy it (except for the rain)..... and remember how nice and cool it was when you get back to the humidity...

:beer:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Awwww is it a little chilly for you???

come on back in january to ride some snowmobile trails on your mt bike! On the right day the snow turn too concrete and we get some wicked fast downhills.

And just remember if it wasn't cold you'd be swattin mosquitos like crazy.

Glad you made it up Vt has some excellent trails.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Man I need to get the bike back out and get some time away from the computer.

I love mountain biking when it's that cold. I usually stay warm once I hit the first uphill section. Much more enjoyable than in 100 degree weather...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Always wanted to check out that part of the country... especially Maine. Are the fall colors good there yet?
Colors are about 50-60%. They are changing fast due to the recent rain but have a way to go.

Man I need to get the bike back out and get some time away from the computer.

I love mountain biking when it's that cold. I usually stay warm once I hit the first uphill section. Much more enjoyable than in 100 degree weather...
Me too. Tried to explain that to the wife who thinks I am crazy. Every trail around here starts with a steep climb and I am dripping sweat after 10 minutes. I have to ride hard because all my gear is short sleeve jerseys and shorts!! Beer tastes better here too for some reason!:beer:

You phone no worky up there Moose?

All I get is your VM.
Not even close!! A half mile outside of town I loose all signal. My parents live another 5 miles beyond that and, if that wasn't enough, when you leave the "main" dirt road, their driveway is another mile, yes mile, of dirt road. Guess shoveling the driveway in the winter is not an option!!

I do have high speed internet! I will give you a call from a land line.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Not even close!! A half mile outside of town I loose all signal. My parents live another 5 miles beyond that and, if that wasn't enough, when you leave the "main" dirt road, their driveway is another mile, yes mile, of dirt road. Guess shoveling the driveway in the winter is not an option!!

damn thats awesome, I want their house :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today's ride, 37 degrees when I started and 42 when I got back to the truck at 9:30. Rode to the top of Mt. Tom and then spent the rest of the ride on some amazing singletrack thru the woods. Saw a few deer in a clearing and a few miles later I scared something big, not sure what it was? Moose, horse, Sasquatch, will never know?? All I heard was the sound of heavy hooves running away. By the time I stopped to look it was gone.

Finally starting to get used to pacing myself on all these climbs and it is almost time to return to Florida. I am screwed when I get home and try to ride. 80 is going to feel like 110 to me!:pissed:

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
didn't realize you were gone. disregard my voicemail i left from last night. got everything squared away. enjoy your vaca :beer: drink some of the good stuff for me!

LMAO @ the driveways! same thing in Maine. Vermont is beautiful country! You are definitely in the heart of some Jeep territory but like you said most are stock. Most of New England laws are strict on lifts and tires. Maine is something like "you cannot exceed 2 size up from your stock size" but i think this is where someone would benefit from the Rubicon Express lift kit from the dealer all set up before you take it home. then the build sheet states it :devil:

I'd be screwed if I moved back home to Maine. The beast would be a weekend warrior only and I have to buy something else. Would be funny to own the daily driver and make payments on a play toy. LOL!

welcome to New England :laughing:
you get a lot more Jeep waves up that way though.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sporting a rental Suburban so no Jeep waves for me.

Not sure what the laws are around here but I have yet to see any good modified Jeeps of any type. No joke, I see about 20-30 Jeeps on a daily basis and there are no mods. The occasional winch but nothing else. Saw a JK Unlimited today with a "IBJEEPN" tag but it was otherwise stock???

My dad is scheduled to take delivery of his 2010 Rubicon in a couple of weeks so I need to find out what is going on?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I am sporting a rental Suburban so no Jeep waves for me.

Not sure what the laws are around here but I have yet to see any good modified Jeeps of any type. No joke, I see about 20-30 Jeeps on a daily basis and there are no mods. The occasional winch but nothing else. Saw a JK Unlimited today with a "IBJEEPN" tag but it was otherwise stock???

My dad is scheduled to take delivery of his 2010 Rubicon in a couple of weeks so I need to find out what is going on?

yeah. sounds like VT is just as strict on their lift laws. NH on the other hand would be the choice of state if you wanted to live in New England and have a lifted vehicle. or use the rig as a trail rig only and trailer it. :shaking: really sucks.

congrats to your dad! :beer:

this might help you out... not sure how often it's updated....

Vermont

For trucks and multipurpose vehicles, the allowable bumper-height increase for front bumpers and rear bumpers depends on the GVWR. For 4,500 pounds and under, it's 24 inches front and 26 inches rear. For 4,501 to 7,500, it's 27 and 29, and for 7,501 to 10,000, it's 28 and 31.

taken from http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorner/lift_laws.cfm

also matches at this website... http://www.ctuusa.com/Lift Laws.htm

this is Maine's!!!!
Maine
Headlights: Don't even think about going higher than 54 inches. However, keep in mind that the original suspension cannot be "disconnected", but don't let that stop you from bolting on heavy-duty shocks and overload springs. Other need-to-knows: Don't remove or disconnect the ABS, and the tires can be only two sizes larger than the manufacturer's recommendation. Spring-shackle extensions are also a no-no.

:shaking:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah. sounds like VT is just as strict on their lift laws. NH on the other hand would be the choice of state if you wanted to live in New England and have a lifted vehicle. or use the rig as a trail rig only and trailer it. :shaking: really sucks.

congrats to your dad! :beer:

this might help you out... not sure how often it's updated....

Vermont

For trucks and multipurpose vehicles, the allowable bumper-height increase for front bumpers and rear bumpers depends on the GVWR. For 4,500 pounds and under, it's 24 inches front and 26 inches rear. For 4,501 to 7,500, it's 27 and 29, and for 7,501 to 10,000, it's 28 and 31.

taken from http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorner/lift_laws.cfm

also matches at this website... http://www.ctuusa.com/Lift Laws.htm

this is Maine's!!!!
Maine
Headlights: Don't even think about going higher than 54 inches. However, keep in mind that the original suspension cannot be "disconnected", but don't let that stop you from bolting on heavy-duty shocks and overload springs. Other need-to-knows: Don't remove or disconnect the ABS, and the tires can be only two sizes larger than the manufacturer's recommendation. Spring-shackle extensions are also a no-no.

:shaking:
Thanks E.

Florida has the same laws but when is the last time you saw a trooper pull out a measuring tape and measure?? Will have to consult the shops up there. Was planning to put 35's on the new addition but after my trip I am having second thoughts. I must have seen over a hundred Jeeps and NONE of them were modified, one JK had a winch and that was it. Crazy for how many Jeeps I saw.

Think I am going to start a new thread on the NorthEast section and get those guys feedback.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Thanks E.

Florida has the same laws but when is the last time you saw a trooper pull out a measuring tape and measure?? Will have to consult the shops up there. Was planning to put 35's on the new addition but after my trip I am having second thoughts. I must have seen over a hundred Jeeps and NONE of them were modified, one JK had a winch and that was it. Crazy for how many Jeeps I saw.

Think I am going to start a new thread on the NorthEast section and get those guys feedback.
that's a good idea. :beer:

·
Registered
688 Posts
See the thing is new englanders don't fix something until it's broke.
Until those jeeps actually get stuck nobody is gonna buy tires, to get stuck you have to go off road, in vt that means your in somebody's cow field and they're sighting you in so put your body armour on the doors!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts