JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am running a JK with UD60´s and 40'' tires together with ram assist.
2 weeks ago, I was driving on pavement and had an extreme death wobble at 70 mph. I stopped and found, that the trackbar bracket has a couple of cracks and was separated, including some broken welds.

I am now looking for a heavy duty trackbar bracket and hope, that I can get some suggestions here.
Maybe a wide bracket, which gets welded completely towards the pumpkin would help ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
That doesn't look like it was welded properly on both sides. I'd get a good shop to clean it up and weld it back on with good penetration on both sides of the bracket. If you want to go with an all new bracket I'd look into Artec's offerings for the D60.

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
Single data point: I have the Poly (Synergy) PPM-8012-13 TB bracket / hydro assist ram bracket and it's served me well so far (not on 40s). I believe they also make one for your tube OD.

Note: it needs to be welded on properly :cwm13:
--> X2 on SoK66's observation that your junk appears under-welded.

Also, was the TB nut/bolt loosened after everything came apart? :dunno:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd get a good shop to clean it up and weld it back on with good penetration on both sides of the bracket.

That's what we did. A friend drove 3 hours to pick me up with a trailer and to get me to his home. We worked on the jeep until 4:30 am to get it welded back together, so that I was able to be on the trail by 9am.

That doesn't look like it was welded properly on both sides.
Note: it needs to be welded on properly :cwm13:
--> X2 on SoK66's observation that your junk appears under-welded.
The welds were mainly the factory welds from the UD60. The shop, who takes care about my jeep, just put some additional metal on. I also had a control arm bracket coming off some time ago and it showed the same weld quality. I got all control arm brackets re-welded, but forgot about getting the trackbar bracket re-welded.

If you want to go with an all new bracket I'd look into Artec's offerings for the D60.
Ok, I will check, what they have. I was thinking about getting a truss, too, but the shop doesn't feel confident to weld it on the axle.

Single data point: I have the Poly (Synergy) PPM-8012-13 TB bracket / hydro assist ram bracket and it's served me well so far (not on 40s). I believe they also make one for your tube OD.
I had that one, too, when I still had the Rubicon axles in. But after they started to bent, I went to the UD60´s.

Also, was the TB nut/bolt loosened after everything came apart? :dunno:
The nut was gone, after I stopped. Not sure, whether the nut first went off or whether it cracked first and because of this, the nut went off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hydraulic assist on a standard bracket is a bad idea. Hell when those axles came out people were ripping off the track bar brackets with standard steering.
Good to know. Are there any useful brackets on the market in your opinion ?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Ruff stuff, Ballistic fabrication, Barnes 4x4 all make good heavy duty brackets that won't break the bank. Funny thing, I went to my buddies shop today and he had a JKU on the rack with UD60s, psc, and a track bar bracket that was broke off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had the same issue with a stock d44 and 35s, where the stock bar mount itself (and the Synergy track bar mount, which was welded to the axle) almost broke completely off, with only about an 1/2 of the mount still attached to the axle tube.
Really confused the owner at Schaffers, said he's never seen anything like that before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts