JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this past friday i had an interesting day. i was on an of ramp when i hear a very loud bang and the jeep stopped turning and started going straight! when i was able to stop the jeep i had ended up half on a curb blocking the rest of the off ramp. once i pulled the seat out of my ass i got out to see WTF had happened. at first i didn't see anything, so i hop back in to get out of the way. i get going and the jeep is super loose i start to slow down and hit the brakes and death wobble , so i pull off and give the jeep a better look now that i'm safely out of the way. i look at the front track bar mount and its cracked almost completely off .

I bought the jeep with 60K on it and it already had a procomp 4 inch lift with 35's on it. i had an issue with the track bar mount before (it cracked a bit lower on the mount and i added a plate and re welded it) so after another 60k of mostly highway driving and some weekend warrior wheeling if broke at the frame( as you can see in the above picture. i was lucky enough to get it towed to a local off road accessory shop and they got me back on the road by the next day. the shop cleaned up the re welded it back on , but suggested a more permanent fix. they suggested replacing the old garbage with just a new stock mount (they said a drop bracket was not needed for a 4 inch lift) . this is the route i will most likely take but i think an adjustable track bar . does anybody make an after market front track bar mount? and what have you guys done to beef up your track bar mounts

Attachments

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Artec trac bar mount. It should be used with their truss for more strength.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
22,098 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FINALY FIXED for real this time

So my track bar mount cracked again, I'm not surprised just look at that shit show above. so a friend of mine hooked me up big time. i already had a synergy mfg 3217 track bar frame bracket. He was able to get it welded up and it solid.

Attachments

·
22,098 Posts
you waited a year to fix the bracket or were just band aiding it along for a year?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A hint of bump steer

So I'm getting a hint of bump steer. it will happen a low speed (like over speed bumps ) but it rides and drives fine at highway speed. the jeep does have a dropped pitman arm. the angle of the drag link and track bar are very close. The new track bar mount is not in the stock location, so I'd like to how far off I am from stock. if someone could measure their stock upper track bar mount id appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
is that OEM trackbar you’re running with your drop bracket ? Film that assembly while you’re turnin wheel lock to lock then watch the video of your steering being cycled back and forth; if ya have bigger heavier tires I bet that trackbar is flexing as you turn the wheel if it’s the stock TB.

:jeep2:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is that OEM trackbar you’re running with your drop bracket ? Film that assembly while you’re turnin wheel lock to lock then watch the video of your steering being cycled back and forth; if ya have bigger heavier tires I bet that trackbar is flexing as you turn the wheel if it’s the stock TB.

:jeep2:
ill try to get a video of it turning lock to lock. I'm running a Teraflex adjustable HD track bar up front and out back. I'm thinking that the new bracket bolt location is lower than the stock but higher than the shit show I had before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts