JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to add more shit onto the pile that is my jeep that hasent moved in over 2 months my air bag light is on and the horn doesnt work, im guessing my wheel got turned to far when there was no steering box in it and it broke the clockspring.How hard is this to change?

· Registered
13,219 Posts
The lowest quote I got on a replacement was $200 recently, in the mean time watch eBay though...I just picked up a brand new one, shipped, for $87.

· Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Are you sure you guys do not have a warranty on the CL?

I bought my 07 Jk In 11

Received a letter from Chrysler extending the warranty on the CL to 100K

· Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Lol... :eek: yea I missed that part.

· Registered
235 Posts
I am not sure if mine is broken can anyone help? My airbag light is on, but my horn still works. Maid a tight corner backing up and thought I heard something snap. Everyonce in the while I will hear a chime go off also, but no other lights are on the instrument panels than the airbag.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
I am not sure if mine is broken can anyone help? My airbag light is on, but my horn still works. Maid a tight corner backing up and thought I heard something snap. Everyonce in the while I will hear a chime go off also, but no other lights are on the instrument panels than the airbag.
..Probably the clock spring, just depends on how broken it is. My horn still worked, but the airbag would still fault.

· Registered
282 Posts

It's possible that when you turn your wheel you can hear what sounds like something inside rubbing. That's a busted clock spring. Or maybe one of your airbag clips came loose. Take the airbag off and verify everything is good. Make sure the battery is disconnected first.

· Premium Member
5,696 Posts
This may sound weird but I have also replaced my clock spring like many others and a couple months after doing so the airbag light and chime started coming on. Can't say it's related at all because it wound up that the passenger seat belt needed to be replaced according to the dealer. It wouldn't latch all the way and for whatever reason once they replaced it the airbag hasn't made a peep..

· Registered
13,219 Posts
How do you remove the airbag to check the clips? Do i need any special tools?
Don't bother removing it to check it. The odds of that just "popping off" are extraordinarily unlikely unless someone has physically removed the airbag recently. They just don't pop off on their own, they are potentially a life-saving device and the precautions taken to keep them from just randomly becoming disabled have been successful for millions of Wranglers on the road.

The common denominator for these kinds of problems IS the clock spring. If you are going to remove the airbag, you might as well have a clock spring ready to go in. You're well on your way to installing one.

To remove it, you need a 90* pick with a pretty long tip past the 90* bend. [I took a torch to a straight one and bent it]. A flashlight and a mirror would help to.

Don't waste your time checking the harness. IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.