JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the Moreyde upgraded hinges recently because I want to run my tire on the tailgate and not on the bumper, however I was stupid enough to use my impact during the install and i broke one of the bolts inside the thread of the plate holding the hinge on the tailgate, its not flush with the hole, so i have established that i can't get it out without drilling or cutting something. anyone run into this? upon further investigation i have determined that they stick a plate in the tailgate that takes the two bolts holding the hinge to the tailgate.

so far my only idea is to cut the inside of my tailgate and see if the bolt is in deep enough to get it out from the other side, let me know with any advice please.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can't you use one of those extraction kits that drills a hole in the fastener then you tap in the extractor and back out the broken fastener?
like one of these? the bolt is so small i don't think these will be small enough to get in there

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright maybe i misunderstood you but what is the name of this kit? Cause it looks promising, also thank you for your help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alright maybe i misunderstood you but what is the name of this kit? Cause it looks promising, also thank you for your help

Looks like a Ridgid kit, they are nice. I have not had good luck with those speedout/easy out kits because of the taper, the larger spiral flute type work well on broken pipe inside of fittings (done this plenty of times) but for small bolts the straight flute that you tap into the drilled hole will bite better. Worse case if you have to drill out the entire broken bolt you can tap new threads for a larger size bolt, of course would need a drill and tap set but I would go that route before cutting into the tailgate.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,230 Posts
Looks like a Ridgid kit, they are nice. I have not had good luck with those speedout/easy out kits because of the taper, the larger spiral flute type work well on broken pipe inside of fittings (done this plenty of times) but for small bolts the straight flute that you tap into the drilled hole will bite better. Worse case if you have to drill out the entire broken bolt you can tap new threads for a larger size bolt, of course would need a drill and tap set but I would go that route before cutting into the tailgate.
Correct. Made by Ridgid, rebranded to Blue Point, sold off the Snappy truck at twice the price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts