JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!- First time posting on this forum.
There is a guy at work getting new tires for his Rubicon and will be selling his old ones. I have the 18' Bridgestones and was wondering if the BFGoodrich Rubi tires are any better in the rain & snow? I am interested in buying them but would like to know about them first. I don't think going from the 18" wheels to the 17's will be any problem. What do you guys think?? I am not really happy with the performance of the Duelers. BTW, I have a 2dr Sahara.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Rubi's have BFG MT's, MT/R's are made by Goodyear, but are actually a good choice for rain and snow.

Siping is what you want for wet conditions, and most MT's lack any. The new KM2's look promising though, and I hear the Trxsus MT's do well in the rain and snow.

We don't get a lot of rain down here and snow very rarely, so can't comment too much, but I've never had any issues with MT's in the rain.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Siped Mud tires are not bad in the rain. They don't channel water as good as all terrains so they have a tendency to hydroplane when the water is deeper then the tread.

BFG MT's kick ass in deep loose snow. The problem is compact snow and ice. Mud terrain tires don't do that well on the compact and ice even if they are siped. I mean, it is not terrible but if that will be your main use then you would want an all terain.

The difference is on compact snow and ice you need as many "teeth" biting in as possible. Mud tires rely on thier large voids. Small void tires fill up in loose snow and mud and loose traction. Mud tires have large voids that self clean. The issue is, if there is no material to get in between the blocks, like when you are on ice instead of mud, you basically are on slicks :D All terrains have more biting edges so they are better on roads and compact but fill up off road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts