JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be up in Bridgeport for about ten days in a couple of weeks for some camping, fishing, and wheeling, problem is I dont know of any trails in the area other than the one that goes to Bodie Ghost Town. Any other fun trails in the area? Maybe some that go to some secluded back country lakes for some wild trout action on the fly?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
If your going in a couple of weeks, there's still alot of snow and I would think, the high mountain lakes are still frozen. Perfect conditions for ice fishing. I don't know the area. I wish I could help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I'm going in two weeks, I'm expecting snow in places but I don't think it'll be bad, just makes things interesting.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Well if it's anything like up here in Chico area you won't get higher than 5000 feet waaay to much snow up here there is 10 feet at the top that's 6800 feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
The snow will still be extremely deep in many areas. Even at the 7k foot area there is over 5-8ft in areas where the sun doesnt hit (was just up on the other side of Sonora Pass last weekend). All the trails on this side of the pass are still closed. In this aea we got nearly 180% of our average snow fall.

So I don't think you will get much in the way of wheeling. The main trails leading out of Bridgport all crest over 8500ft.

Which pass are you taking to get there? Your best bet is probably Tehachapi. Most of the passes north of that are still closed up until you get to Tahoe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be coming up 395, camping at Twin Lakes

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Due to snow and ice, you will probably only be able to fish the twins, the reservoir, Robinson Creek, and the Walkers. But, the Walkers may be unfishable due to high flows. Back-country fishing will be out of the question right now. There used to be a great 4x4 trail up to the Silverado mine, but the property owners closed the road to the public. Not many wheeling opportunities in that area anymore.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dont know of any trails but I sure love the area. Used to live in reno, so went a few times. Caught my biggest trout on upper twin....4 lbs.

:beer::beer::beer: Hot springs are nice too

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been vacationing at Twin Lakes since I was 5, I'm 32 now and I've never done any back country fishing and never ran any trails in the area. It is very beautiful area and I would like to explore it more, but sounds like I'm not going to be able to on this trip. Oh well, I'll still see what kind of trouble I can get into. If nothing else I hope the fishing is good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fish Convict Lake. It will be on the left side as you travel up 395. Just past Convict (heading north) there are some dirt roads that head towards the hills on the left hand side. The roads are like fire trails and headin all sorts of directions. Check those out. I also think there are some dirt trails that head out to Owens River. Bodie is a must. Try to hit up Devil's Postpile if the road is not closed due to snow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I hear they are expecting more snow this weekend up there so it's looking like it's going to be an adveture. Will post pics and a report when I get back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.