1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler LLC debuts several production EV's including wrangler

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=864784364

Source:Autoblog.com

CNBC's Phil Lebeau got a sneak peek at the new EVs Chrysler is developing, and it looks like Auburn Hills is pulling a Tesla, among other things. The yellow Dodge EV you see here is basically an electrified Lotus Europa. With lithium ion battery power, it's reportedly got an operating range of 150 - 200 miles and can be plugged in to household 110 or 220 outlets. Figure a four-hour charge on the latter, and 8 or so on the former. Zero-to-sixty is said to be under 5 seconds. Like we said, this is basically Chrysler's Tesla, right down to the Lotus-sourced donor vehicle.

We'll see the Dodge EV introduced formally later this afternoon, along with range-extended EV versions of the Chrysler Town & Country (can you say, "killer app"?) and Jeep Wrangler. With regard to timing, Chrysler says it would like to have "at least one" of these vehicles on the market by the end of 2010, the unofficial official year of the electric/plug-in car.

Look for all three prototypes to head to D.C., where they'll be showcased for Congressional leaders who have a say in whether or not Washington will show Detroit the money they've been asking for.

For now, you can watch the preview unveiling of the cars on CNBC by watching this video. Chrysler's got something planned for 1PM today, so we expect to have a lot more info and photos then. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From what Chrysler is giving in that interview, I think the EV would be good for a commuter-box daily driver, but not not for a serious off-road vehicle...You heard him say that there is only a 1 liter engine in the Jeep after the batteries and motor. Is that 1 liter engine supposed to power the Jeep effectively off-road after the initial 40 mile electric motor kicks it? Not really sure about that EV thing for the Jeep...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's a start. I hope they are commited to making it for the right reasons and not just for PR or CAFE. My general feeling is the only way to improve a Jeep is to make it more Jeep-like. So, they have to be careful with how complicated it gets, and how capable it is. But it's a good idea.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I wouldn't mind it as a daily driver. Just would need to black out the chrome. :smokin:

·
Registered
749 Posts
X2 on the 2WD but I guess its a Start.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
I was serious tho, if they put EV's to market it will lower their average fuel economy numbers and that COULD help us in getting that gas guzzlin v8 a bunch of us want! Either way tho, I would love to have an EV to drive to work everyday...prolly not a Jeep, but the chevy volt looks promising.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They had to use a 9" rear end with 7.33 gears on the rear end beacuse it would not get out of its own way with the factory 4.10 ratio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also a lifted springs were installed to maintain factory ride height due to the extra weight of the batteries.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did I here the word traction motors on all 4 wheels in the video? yes 3:55 into the video. That would mean no more axels or drive shafts to break on the trail and no differentials to hang up on rocks. They could be on to somthing. :smokin:

·
Registered
40 Posts
From what Chrysler is giving in that interview, I think the EV would be good for a commuter-box daily driver, but not not for a serious off-road vehicle...You heard him say that there is only a 1 liter engine in the Jeep after the batteries and motor. Is that 1 liter engine supposed to power the Jeep effectively off-road after the initial 40 mile electric motor kicks it? Not really sure about that EV thing for the Jeep...
It is suppose to be all electric, with separate electric motors on each wheel. the 1 liter engine just runs a generator to keep the battery charged. It is suppose to go 40 miles without using any gas at all then can be recharged in 8 hours on 110v or 4 hours on 220v.. After 40 miles the generator turns on and keeps the battery charged while you run on it. It is suppose to be able keep the battery charged through 400 miles on one tank of gas (9gals).

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Wow, a $7,500 tax credit on a JK would be nice.... I bet lifting an EV JK will be next to impossible though - if they even ever come out with a 4x4 version.
I swore in the video they said something about off-road worthyness (or something like that). It would definitely be a tall order to lift it.... but if the motors were built into the axles then maybe not so much??? I donno.

At least its a start in the right direction. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The auto industry is in for a great shakeup in the next few years, Hopefully Jeep does not make the wrangler into a super lux sport ute and stays close to its roots.

Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
If this works, it would be a new frontier for our off-road community. This would also help us be in a better light with the so called greenies.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.