JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wait is almost over! Jeep Performance, a division of Mopar Performance, is working on a stand-alone diesel engine swap kit to drop the 2.8 diesel that first appeared in the Jeep Liberty into your TJ, YJ, CJ, or? While we'll have more details (and maybe a photo or two) after Jeep Safari in Moab, this is the real deal and is going to happen. Everything needed to install the diesel mill into a Jeep will come with the kit - including a stand-alone wiring harness and non-EGR motor! You may have heard that some Liberty diesels had problems that were caused by a malfunctioning Exhaust Gas Recirculation system. The Jeep Performance diesel swap kit's 2.8 diesel doesn't have the troublesome EGR, so expect it to be problem-free. We'll get you more information when we get it. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
387 Posts
What's the advantage of having a diesel engine? Better fuel milage? Cheeper fuel? All I know is the disadvantage of trying to find a gas station that sells diesel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wrote that blog entry on 4WD&SU's site as a news flash. We'll get more information at Moab next week. I do know, though, that the kit isn't perfected yet, but Jeep has one running prototype already.

I personally agree that having a diesel is more of a pain than not to many of us. Finding fuel can be a real problem at small gas stations in the middle of nowhere. Also, driving a 2.8 diesel-equipped Jeep in the dunes or deep snow will not be fun, I imagine. The diesel isn't for everyone, but there are many who have been waiting years for a swap kit like this.

By the way, this kit is being offered for earlier Jeeps, not our JK Wranglers. Our CANbus system won't work with it, although I guess that if you didn't care about making all JK systems work, the engine would, since it's stand-alone.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re:swap

I wrote that blog entry on 4WD&SU's site as a news flash. We'll get more information at Moab next week. I do know, though, that the kit isn't perfected yet, but Jeep has one running prototype already.

I personally agree that having a diesel is more of a pain than not to many of us. Finding fuel can be a real problem at small gas stations in the middle of nowhere. Also, driving a 2.8 diesel-equipped Jeep in the dunes or deep snow will not be fun, I imagine. The diesel isn't for everyone, but there are many who have been waiting years for a swap kit like this.

By the way, this kit is being offered for earlier Jeeps, not our JK Wranglers. Our CANbus system won't work with it, although I guess that if you didn't care about making all JK systems work, the engine would, since it's stand-alone.
Cool write up thats where I got the info!! I kow there were hints about a diesel comig on AEV's website..I wonder if the running conversion is DH's Jeep?

I have a 2.8 already in my liberty and it is a blast to drive, getting gas is no big deal at all (always next to freeways) and I have a diesel vw jetta which i will seel to do the crd swap in my lj!

300ft lbs should be plenty for the dunes!

Jason

·
Registered
38 Posts
The working model may very well be Dave's. I'll try to get some photos and impressions at Moab next week.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more info

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=219&page=5

http://www.aav.com.eg/diesel_data.html
New info has surfaced:

The Mopar program is trying to use the T1 (military TJ) parts primarily. One of the biggest performance differences between that version and the liberty is the non-variable turbo. I haven't driven a T1, but I understand they do pretty well. The T1 version is WAY simpler, no EGR, no variable turbo, no Viscous coolant heater, no AC (I don't know what Mopar has planned for that), no cruise control, etc...It has about 1/10 the amount of wiring, and would be a great motor to have in a Jeep

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
my libby diesel was lemoned due to engine to trans problems not EGR or anything else.
I will wait for someone else to work out the bugs and 40-50k miles before I even look at this conversion.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sounds like it will be 45 state legal for smog.

The Peterson JK is a tubo diesel and last I saw they were not totally sold on a diesel for off roading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts