JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

Today my wife and I went off roading today. We are both pretty shook up because we almost flipped our jeep.

Here is what happened:

We were going up a hill and because of the verticle angle I could not see over my hood. We noticed the road narrowing very slightly, before we knew it we were at about a 45 degree angle sideways with our right front end about 5 feet below the left side. The left rear end was completely off the ground probably about 5 feet as well. If not for some other jeep owners who were able to help pull us out we would still probably be there. My heart is still pounding.

After our vehicle was rescued the only damages I can see at this point are to the fuel skid plate...literally a bunch of deep scratches....that is it. I still plan to take it in monday and have the alignment checked but I drove it 25 miles home at highway speeds without even the slight notice of the wheel being off or it pulling one way or the other.

So, a few scratches and a hurt pride is all I have to show. What had happened if my vehicle did flip? I dont think my insurance would have covered it. Does anyone here have a supplemental policy for off-roading on their vehicle?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I had always thought like you did that insurance would not cover it, but I have heard quite a few stories lately of massive Jeep carnage off road, and each time, at least until this point, they have covered it...

·
Registered
67 Posts
last two time i went to moab , two different freinds rolled / totaled there jeeps ( one on potato salad other witch's crotch) ins. payed em both

A

·
0 Posts
BTW, if you’re wheeling on unfamiliar trails, and don’t know what’s on the other side of a hill, get out and look next time :grinpimp:

·
Registered
242 Posts
About the only instance where the damage would not be covered is if you were in some type of competiion.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My insurance agent (who is also a good friend) told me that "full coverage means full coverage". He said that 4x4 vehicles get a bit higher rate because there are a percentage of owners that do actually wheel them. And insurance has to cover those regardless. Plus if the vehicle is financed, the insurance company has responsibility to the finance company to cover the damage regardless of how it occurs.

I'm completely up front with my agent about what I do. He has even told me to send him a complete list of my mods and photos so that if anything ever does happen to my Jeep, the pictures and mods are on file and are covered.

About the only instance where the damage would not be covered is if you were in some type of competiion.
Yup- My agent told me the same thing. As soon as you enter a competition, you have zero coverage.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Another Duke already hit the nail on the head- coming from the racing world, I can tell you- if you stuff your car into turn 5 at the track, you're on your own. Find a local tow guy and have him pull you off the track and say you hit a tree, pay him $50 or beer, and call insurance, and you're covered :)

I still would talk to my insurance company HYPOTHETICALLY. Don't let them know you're rock crawling- just say you have friends who do it, and wanted to know if your coverage extends to that.

Some companies will even cover you, say for a weekend, if you let them know that you're heading to the track, or off-road. Just call them up, and shell out a few extra bucks, and you're covered. That way, if you're in the hospital (Heaven forbid!), and CAN'T pay off the tow guy, you're set :) Mark W.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say the best bet is to just call your agent and ask. Each company is different in how the handle claims. If they do not cover it find a company who will. My agent knows I drag race and show my Mustangs. So I have Exhibition Auto Insurance on them to cover them for what I do with them. If you get in an accident the last thing you want to do is lie to insurance co. about it. If they get a bur up their ass and prove you lied get ready for some criminal charges.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Cool, I've had mine jacked like that. Pucker pucker pucker. You kinda get used to it after a while. As far as insurance goes, I dont have a clue. Wished I had been there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts