JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about too many times on here, can’t find a good answer and looking for guidance.

I would like to do the brake booster and MC upgrade. First question, will this put too much pressure on the stock braking system? If not, in the meantime (between now and BBK) what stock pads and rotors are everyone running. I am on a budget and would like to only resolve my issue (very very soft brakes) for now.

The real issue I have both on and off road is a sporadic dead pedal, usually after hitting a speed bump on road and during a rough trail.
I have bled the brakes and ABS.

· Registered
106 Posts
It can be as simple as low brake fluid. The other common issue is the ABS sensor on the rear diff.
I use OEM brake pads and rotors. Never had a issue with them.
As for the upgrade, I really don’t know, if that combination will work.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be as simple as low brake fluid. The other common issue is the ABS sensor on the rear diff.
I use OEM brake pads and rotors. Never had a issue with them.
As for the upgrade, I really don’t know, if that combination will work.
The ABS/Wheel speed sensor?

my wife’s went out on her 2016, jeep went into limp mode. Any ideas if it could cause only an occasional dead pedal? I just thought when those faulted, much worse happened.

My brakes have been bled twice now, fluid is good and full. Including ABS being bled via scan tool.

· Registered
2009 rubicon 2dr
52 Posts
Sounds like master cylinder to me. I have seen the ABS motor/module cause a dead spot in pedal ( usually slight or faint). Usually if is ABS the ABS light should be on. Where as the master cylinder may not cause a light depending on exact issue. By you’re description, I would say master cylinder. Also good job using a scan tool for ABS bleed. From experience that does help.

· Registered
32 Posts
How many miles are on it? I think the recommendations you got are sound regarding the M/C being the culprit. I think stock calipers will work with the upgraded booster and MC, They have been backordered I believe though. M/C's are not that expensive to try a replacement one, unless you soon plan going to a bbk. Good luck, let us know how it ends up.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles are on it? I think the recommendations you got are sound regarding the M/C being the culprit. I think stock calipers will work with the upgraded booster and MC, They have been backordered I believe though. M/C's are not that expensive to try a replacement one, unless you soon plan going to a bbk. Good luck, let us know how it ends up.
51k miles on the jeep. I am going to try MC first to see if I can rule it out. We shall see. Thanks for the info!!

· Registered
32 Posts
51k miles on the jeep. I am going to try MC first to see if I can rule it out. We shall see. Thanks for the info!!
Sounds like a plan. I ran the m8 booster and MC with front mopar bbk and stock rear calipers no problem. I have since upgraded to larger gladiator rear calipers and rotors and again no issue. Seems like if you do not have enough volume from MC for the calipers then it becomes an issue.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I replaced the MC with an auto zone special.. definitely increased brake pressure. I’m thinking the rest of the slop is from my pads and rotors, they are likely OEM (I’ve owned this jeep for 5 or so months)

Really hoping this was the issue, I ran over all of the bumps in my area that I know of. No dead pedal. I will keep y’all posted, thanks for the replies!

· Registered
4,184 Posts
Reactions: Old Dogger

· Registered
4,184 Posts
Reactions: Old Dogger
1 - 18 of 18 Posts