JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the road straight since 1pm yesturday and am in Tucson now, nonstop, we are driving my buddies 07 unlimited bone stock pulling a 5x10 trailer loaded with tools and gang boxes. We are rushing to a heater blow out in a small refinery outside of Newark California.

He installed the mopar 7pin harness but we need a brake controller and what wires to make it work. I have been following post but there seems to be issues with stuff burning out or other issues. As I have said we are driving straight through, I'm on my iPhone and service is slow outside of the major areas.

If anyone has succesfully got this to work please let me know what controller, parts and wires and also tried the search but it pulls up everything but. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this fixed for him before we drive back, thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I have an older drawtite activator 2
you will have to run a wire from the battery for the + to the controller
a ground wire from the controller to somewhere under the dash
a wire to the trailer plug from the controller
the signal wire to the controller will come off the brake switch under the dash and its the white with brown tracer on the harness going to the switch.

Let me know if you need any more help

Joe V. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, do you need to run a relay for the wire off the brake switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
confirming the correct brake switch wire

Sorry to be a pain, but before I connect the last wire of my tekonsha controller, I wanted to triple check which wire to use for the brake light switch. I see a white with brown/tan strip on the harness going into the brake light switch assembly (on the brake pedal.)

I will put a volt meter on the final end connector before I connect to the controller itself. but with the risk of screwing up the Jeep's electrical, i though asking once more won't hurt. But I read somewhere that you should "never" disconnect this harness or it will somehow damage things. otherwise I would just put a volt meter on the connection directly.

here are the pictures from my 2010 JK unlimited. sorry for the bad pictures, but the white w/ thin brown strip is one on the far right of the 6 wire harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Follow up

Just to confirm, YES, the white w/ brown wire is the right wire to splice to. Yeah, yeah, I know you already knew this, but I just wanted to report success in my brake controller install. Now someone searching for this question will now have a confirmed answer.

AND..... my off-road camp trailer is ready for pickup next week.... and I am ready!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts