JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html

This really makes my blood boil. The story is lacking in allot of detail, but there's nothing in it that says it's a choice between one or the other. Granted Labor Day doesn't have the same meaning as other holidays such as Memorial Day; however, it's my belief that this is just testing of the waters...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Unfracking impressed. :pissed: :shaking:

Its not testing the waters. Its subversion from within. This country is going to placate and PC itself to death and the South Americans and Muslims are going to be laughing their asses off. Do they placate and PC foreign issues in their countries? Somehow I doubt it.

Goodby Tyson Foods.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A union negotiated to replace a "Labor" holiday with a religious holiday. Oh the irony.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
unions are screwing up this country and will be its downfall, if they aren't disbanded or controlled - from education, farming, construction and manufacturing to healthcare.

frickin' unions are ALL corrupt and causing lots of failures and problems.

THAT is change this country needs.

·
Registered
774 Posts
unions are screwing up this country and will be its downfall, if they aren't disbanded or controlled - from education, farming, construction and manufacturing to healthcare.

frickin' unions are ALL corrupt and causing lots of failures and problems.

THAT is change this country needs.

I'm not a union member, but unions are definately needed to keep employers honest. There are some unions that think they are more powerful than god and yes they should be controlled but unions are what have given employees the benefits that they receive now.

As for the OP, who cares. If the union wanted a different holiday, OK. Maybe they have Muslim employees and the union wants to make things equal. We have a lot more religions in this country than just chritian religions. Everyone seems to get all up in arms because it is associated with muslims. All muslims aren't radicals.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think the Muslims should get their Religious holiday but not at the cost of an American Holiday. People like to call up the Constitution for Freedom of Speech, and Right to Arms but right in there with that is the Freedom of Religion.

I think its crap for them to lose Labor Day but they said of the 1200 members 700 are Muslim right? So over half, meaning if you let Muslims work Labor Day and the other folks work on the Muslim Holiday then the place runs half staff which is not always profitable. So what is the company to do? At the same times if they are Muslim and live in American legally then they are American in my eyes so they should get off an American Holiday as well... Sounds like a possible lose vs. lose situation and the Majority vote won.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the OP, who cares. If the union wanted a different holiday, OK. Maybe they have Muslim employees and the union wants to make things equal...
That's not a justification. Most companies deal with "religious" issues by providing floating holidays. I'd have no problem with specifying known Christian holidays with floating holidays. Although, the only one that affects businesses that I can think of is Christmas. Christmas is more of a secular holiday these days.

This is pandering pure and simple. I guess they have the right to do what they want with their business. And we have the right to boycott them for doing so.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...So over half, meaning if you let Muslims work Labor Day and the other folks work on the Muslim Holiday then the place runs half staff which is not always profitable. So what is the company to do? ...
It doesn't have to be any less profitable then missing a full day assuming a more or less equal distribution of job responsibilities. The plant just has to be managed well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know what? I couldn't care less about Tyson's justification about this. The fact of the matter is that they are pandering to Islamic interests. Folks Islam is the enemy. Therefore, I'm done with them (as much as that might be possible). Here is some information on their far reaching arms:

KFC
Taco Bell
McDonald's
Burger King
Wendy's
Hudson Foods Company
Garrett poultry
Washington Creamery
Franz Foods
Prospect Farms
Krispy Chickens
Ocoma Foods
Cassady Broiler
Vantress Pedigree
Wilson Foods
Honeybear Foods
Mexican Original
Valmac Industies
Heritage Valley
Lane Processing
Cobb-Vantress
Holly Farms
Wright Brand Foods, Inc..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It doesn't have to be any less profitable then missing a full day assuming a more or less equal distribution of job responsibilities. The plant just has to be managed well.
O i was just thinking in terms of could running a factory at half, or less that half, staff make enough money to warrant the power usage, water usage waste material, ect vs. the whole place closed with just the needed items running like A/C and such

Either way, Tyson makes Dinosaur Chicken nuggets... yummy!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O i was just thinking in terms of could running a factory at half, or less that half, staff make enough money to warrant the power usage, water usage waste material, ect vs. the whole place closed with just the needed items running like A/C and such..
I guess it partially depends on the company. Typically, you still have those things running. Servers aren't shut off, and the A/C still is in use to keep equipment cool for instance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
While I am not for pandering to any religious group what occured here is 800 out of the 1200 employees (in ONE plant they have like 119) voted to make this change. It was not Tyson as a company making a broad ranging change across the board just at this one location. That means they changed something the employees at one location wanted due to an overall high number of workers sharing the same beliefs and holiday. While I don't agree with the reason (religious holiday) for the change I do applaude the company for listening to it's employees and making the workplace better for them.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Thur takin ur jobs!!!!

I dont give a **** who tyson does and doesnt employ and how they employ them. I dont eat that manufacturing plant chicken regardless. Wife gets the free range stuff ...no debeaking and throwing chickens around by their legs. I'm not a PETA nut, but I do think traditional farming has advantages over those huge mega operations.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Thur takin ur jobs!!!!

I dont give a **** who tyson does and doesnt employ and how they employ them. I dont eat that manufacturing plant chicken regardless. Wife gets the free range stuff ...no debeaking and throwing chickens around by their legs. I'm not a PETA nut, but I do think traditional farming has advantages over those huge mega operations.
Sorry, Had to play the Pamela card! :D

A

·
0 Posts
I don’t see the problem. Employees wanted different day off, union asked company, company said yes. Who does this hurt exactly?

My wife works for AmEx and they have no public holidays and just give the employees extra vacations days to take when they want. Every day is a work day there and you don’t see anyone boycotting AmEx.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sets a precedent, which is most likely the goal.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I don’t see the problem. Employees wanted different day off, union asked company, company said yes.
see, that's the problem. the union didn't ASK for the day off. the union TOLD them to give the day off. that's how unions work. and tyson had no choice but to comply, or risk a strike. that's the problem with unions.

A

·
0 Posts
see, that's the problem. the union didn't ASK for the day off. the union TOLD them to give the day off. that's how unions work. and tyson had no choice but to comply, or risk a strike. that's the problem with unions.
I wasn’t there so can go only on the fox report. I have absolutly no love for unions and have never belonged to one myself but the way I read this was that this is one plant and the employees asked the union to negotiate for them. If I were the CEO I would have done the same thing since it makes zero difference to the bottom line.

Maybe I’m missing something?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts