JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home the other night (interstate about 70-75 mph) and noticed the front of the hood was bouncing around… I have read about people using a zip tie, but that's not happening.. I also read about people using daystar latches… and just found locking hood latches by Rampage.

Anyone else have this problem and or use these products ?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
So I was driving home the other night (interstate about 70-75 mph) and noticed the front of the hood was bouncing around… I have read about people using a zip tie, but that's not happening.. I also read about people using daystar latches… and just found locking hood latches by Rampage.

Anyone else have this problem and or use these products ?
I have the Daystar Urethane and they work really well, especially for a whopping 23 bucks. I have heard that removing the tension spring helps too, but with the Daystar it doesn't matter. I recommend using those to eliminate the hood flop.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've got an easy fix for you....costs nothing! Take a ratchet and a socket, and remove the hood spring. Works like a charm! The hood is heavy enough on its own to keep it down. I pulled mine off and haven't had ANY flutter since!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I've got an easy fix for you....costs nothing! Take a ratchet and a socket, and remove the hood spring. Works like a charm! The hood is heavy enough on its own to keep it down. I pulled mine off and haven't had ANY flutter since!
Yep.

I did this back in 2008.... zero flutter and zero issues.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
So it wont rattle when I'm going fast over speed bumps at a the mall without the spring? Seriously though I would think it would rattle while wheeling.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Daystar latches do work. Extremely tight as in you hear sheet metal cracking the first time you latch them. The holes in the body do not have any play for adjustment. I have had mine on since summer '09 and they still snap shut with effort. Seems like they would make them a hair longer but oh well.

The only thing I really do not like about the daystar is the body line between the hood and fender is messed with. One thing for damn sure the hood does not flutter any more.

·
Registered
925 Posts
So it wont rattle when I'm going fast over speed bumps at a the mall without the spring? Seriously though I would think it would rattle while wheeling.
No. The stock latches on the side hold down the hood well without the spring, along with the weight of the hood. The spring is what pushes up on the hood and makes it flutter when it catches wind. You just cant slam your hood down with no spring, but since its a Jeep and not a car, there is no need.

Try it, then wheel it. If you dont like it then put it back on. Its free and its only 1 bolt! But no, it doesnt rattle.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No. The stock latches on the side hold down the hood well without the spring, along with the weight of the hood. The spring is what pushes up on the hood and makes it flutter when it catches wind. You just cant slam your hood down with no spring, but since its a Jeep and not a car, there is no need.

Try it, then wheel it. If you dont like it then put it back on. Its free and its only 1 bolt! But no, it doesnt rattle.
That's good info.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is what I did, been fine for several months now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
no spring, 1.5 yrs now. no rattle or flutter and as stated it's free

·
Registered
18 Posts
remove the spring. works. costs nothing. keep it in case you want to trade you can put it back on....

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a 2" long 1/2" by 1/2" piece of box tube zip tied for the latch to catch on. Woods was sending the out with any order you placed with him. I had a 1/2" piece of stainless instrument tubing before that, both work. This won't work if you have those goofy grill inserts though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts