JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully someone here can shed some light for me.

put it in drive and get a fast clicking sound, same with reverse. no movement of jeep.

rear end on jack stands:

spin rear tires- ring gear, pinion, and spyder gears all move, BUT driveshaft does not.

spin driveshaft- nothing spins in the rear end.

what did i break???

·
Registered
375 Posts
If they are stock drive shafts you possible blew out the CV joint...I had this happen to my front one 2 weeks ago...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are stock.

at the axle end of the drive shaft where the small shaft goes into collar that bolts to the axle side. (if that makes any sense)

the smaller shaft will turn independently of the collar. twisting the little rubber boot thats there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you were to remove the 8 bolts and remove that end of the drive shaft from the rear pinion there is a "end cap" on the end of the drive shaft...When you remove that you should see a "snap ring" on the splined shaft...If the snap ring is broken or the internals of the CV Joint are shot you may get the drive shaft to move without moving the rear tires...

My front drive shaft did this...The housing where all of the bearings are cracked and finally exploded due to the heat and no grease being in the joint...

I would take the drive shaft off the rear axle and remove the end cap CAREFULLY and check the snap ring...

:beer:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I guess you found your popping sound that you posted a few days ago.

Yep, your CV is not suppose to have that movement. Like tank said you can try taking it apart but chances are you need a new DS. I think you have the chance to get a woody. Well maybe one tonight and another type tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
That sucks.... I dread the day I find that in my driveway!

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess you found your popping sound that you posted a few days ago.

Yep, your CV is not suppose to have that movement. Like tank said you can try taking it apart but chances are you need a new DS. I think you have the chance to get a woody. Well maybe one tonight and another type tomorrow.
yep and with the ride for fallen law enforcement this weekend!!!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
hopefully someone here can shed some light for me.

put it in drive and get a fast clicking sound, same with reverse. no movement of jeep.

rear end on jack stands:

spin rear tires- ring gear, pinion, and spyder gears all move, BUT driveshaft does not.

spin driveshaft- nothing spins in the rear end.

what did i break???
Had the exact same thing, with what sounds like the same symptoms, happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Ended up being a snapped drivers' side axle shaft. It snapped about an inch from the splined end. I would place my money on that.
If it happens to be your pass side axle shaft, I have a spare one of those that you can use until you can get some aftermarket ones.

AMP

·
Registered
375 Posts
just found the culprit. the splines on the driveshaft the engage the cv are toast

Yep that will do it...At least you had grease in yours...Mine didn't have anything left...The housing that the bearings were cracked and blew-out...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.