JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last summer I was at a local resturant with my fiance and some friends and they had a Jim Beam rep there giving free samples. The one I liked the most was Bookers. After bringing it up from time to time, my fiance finally bought me a bottle of it for our anniversary a few months back and I've been dieing to crack it open, but I'm not sure what the best way is to drink it. Have any of you guys had this stuff? over ice? splash of water? or just by itself?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I usually start with a taste of it neat and then decide what to do. If I decide I want to add a little water and chill it, I add an ice cube and let it melt. I do this with all whiskeys unless they are nasty garbage (then I add cola or give them away or set them out as open bar when I'm having a get together).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Also, if you like Booker's, try some Pappy Van Winkle if you get the chance. Maker's 46 is good too.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
I like my whiskey on the rocks (usually 3 cubes) in a tumbler with an equal part of water. I then let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, give it a swirl or two - and begin sipping.

That's my general rule of whiskey.

My wild turkey rule - pour it in a flask and keep taking snorts til the flask is empty. Not quite as picky with the strong stuff.

Never had Bookers.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Neat all the way.
Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey (American Honey included)
Nothing like settin and sippin around a camp fire.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I like to drink my whiskey out of a plastic pint bottle stuffed in a paper bag. It's best enjoyed while sitting by a dumpster behind 7-11.

I'm also partial to three ice cubes in a tumbler. Let it sit for a little bit (15 minutes or so). Then enjoy a nice sippin whiskey. Or guzzle a pint of old crow. Your call.

·
Registered
712 Posts
3 rocks in a glass for me. Try it neat first to get a feeling for the full flavor. I don't add water, it's hot here - the ice melts if I'm not sipping fast.

Admittedly though, the best of the small batch line is the Basil Hayden's, IMO. It's sufficiently unique to get over the Jim Beam brand. Rowan's Creek or Noah's Mill are my go-to's w/ bourbon.

!c

·
Registered
568 Posts
Small batch makers are the best. Stranahans (Colorado), neat, is THE one worth drinking and I've tried too many. It's the real deal. Blanton's (Kentucky) comes in second, and not just for the bottle.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to give it a try this weekend. When the Jim Beam rep was telling us about it last summer and he was telling us what flavors to expect in it, I thought, man this is gonna be interesting. Then he told us how they age it and that is usually somewhere in the 127 proof range, I thought holy hell this is gonna burn, but it was about the smoothest thing I've tried yet. All I got was a shot of it though, so I'm looking forward to being able to sit down and sip it for awhile

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bookers is good stuff, not your average bourbon. neat or over a couple cubes of ice. Ice will make it a little easier to drink.

Anyone reading this that want's to try another high end boubon, give Blanton's a try. Not cheap, but really good.

--Ruskin

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Booker's & Knob Creek are part of a family of 4 bourbons in the same small batch collection all licensed by but not made by Jim Beam. I was still bartending back when this collection first came to market back around 1997 I think it was and still to this day I prefer the Basil Hayden, all four are great bourbons, but despite being the lightest proof, I think the light proof actually aids in allowing the drinker to taste more of the bourbon but then some like the stronger bite over the flavor.

http://www.smallbatch.com/lpa

Knob Creek

• Proof: 100
  • Color: Copper to medium amber
  • Aroma: Toasted nuts, grain oak
  • Taste: Rich, sweet, woody, full-bodied, almost fruity
  • Finish: Long, rich and glowing
  • Award: National Champion Whiskey

Basil Hayden

• Proof: 80
  • Color: Golden amber
  • Aroma: Spice, tea, hint of peppermint