JKOwners Forum banner

Boneheaded Intake Manifold Move

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Big A 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share what has to be my most annoying experience ever. I had a throttle body spacer I installed a while back, and realized while looking at it that it was in there upside down. Now this wouldn't make the slightest difference, but I thought, what the heck, I'll take it off and put it back on, writing side up. So there I am, throttle body off, intake exposed, and a few washers and scews in my hands. At this moment my 4 year old daugher decided to open the front door and let my 100 pound dog out. Excited, the dog jumps up, paws on my back and the washers and bolts go flying. I found all but 1 washer, and prayed that maybe it just rolled out in the street, since I couldn't find it. I finish up, reconnect everything, turn the key and -clack-clack-clack-clack. Cold sweats. Washer went in the intake. Undid everything, tried the magnet on a string trick, no luck. Vaccumm proved useless. SO-now I've got an $80 tow bill to the mechanics, and what's likely to be about a grand just in labor to pull the engine apart and find the little *&!#!. Hopefully theres no damage to the valves or cylinders...keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone else do something this boneheaded?:crybaby2:

#4 ·
I doubt my insurance company would cover this, I can't see why they would. It's my own idiotic fault, and just putting in the claim could result in them finding a reason to raise my rates. I'm hopeful that being started for only 10-15 seconds, and only clacking around a little bit, that no real damage was done. The washer is very small & light, so we'll see...

#5 ·
on my last car i was removing my aftermarket upper intake manifold (has both upper and lower) and i unscrewed it and had to disconnect the sensors and vacume lines from the back and i turned it upside dropping 3 screws down into the lower IM and sitting ontop of the cyliners. Guess what... they were not magnetic either so after wrapping tape on long flat flat screwdriver and about 30 minutes of cussing i got all 3 out...

#7 ·
Well, early word is things might be ok. The mechanic got the washer out of the cylinder, and it had been melted into a little ball, so, hopefully it was soft enough not damage the cylinder wall. Should know more later. Thankfully it wasn't a bolt or screw, that would have been worse I'm sure. This was just a 5/16 inch aluminum washer.
:bawling:I miss my jeep.

#8 ·
Yea i was helping a friend replace his clutch in his Ford Ranger, we got everything put togther the transmission in and my buddy was putting the shifter boot back on with the screws and dropped it down into the transmission.....he freaked out lucky for him i just pulled the drain plug and it came out with the magnet on the plug

#12 ·
Yeah boneheadedness happens

22years ago I was pulling a tranmission out of a cobra and dropped a sheet metal screw somewhere. after 19 hours with a flashlight, flex mirrorand flex grabber another guy saw it as he was walking by. it had bouncednext to and under the right skid.......Yeah I cried. oh and my 2 year old lets my dog out all the d@%# time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.