JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a bone marrow transplant or been a donor? Or even had a close friend or family member who has?

I've been doing a bit of research on it lately and have learned a lot... But I would like to hear some personal stories if anyone has them and is willing to share them.

I know there are 2 types of procedures, one is surgical and one isn't (the more common one). What I'm looking for is what side effects were felt and what recovery was like.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Dont they have to pull it out of your spine>? no thank you.......

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont they have to pull it out of your spine>? no thank you.......
There are 2 different ways to do it. One way you give blood they take what they need then put blood back in. The second one is a surgical procedure where they make incisions in your back and use a hollow needle to go through the back of your pelvic bone and take out some bone marrow (I think that's how it goes).

Both are supposed to be painful but the 2nd is obviously way worse.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In which case, that's sort of a good thing. Hope whatever spurred the inquiry works out quickly and for the best.
Thanks :) It's no big deal really, I just came up as a possible match for someone who needs a transplant. I want to know what I am getting myself into if I turn out to be the best match for the person.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
There are 2 different ways to do it. One way you give blood they take what they need then put blood back in. The second one is a surgical procedure where they make incisions in your back and use a hollow needle to go through the back of your pelvic bone and take out some bone marrow (I think that's how it goes).

Both are supposed to be painful but the 2nd is obviously way worse.
marcy as appealing that sounds..... you arent selling me on it......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.